Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First time builder help
ShakeyWarrior Offline

Given 1 thanks in 1 posts

First time builder help
Hi all! first time pc builder here,

So I am looking to build a pc that would allow me to play some games but mainly use it for school purposes. As of right now, I do have planned build but I would like to have some insight on what I can swap out and change for my budget being around $600.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8sVyd6

If there is anything I can get for cheaper that would be great!

My other question is, if I were to walk into a CC store (Kennedy Rd to be specific) can they give me a proposed build with my $600 budget? Because atm, I do need this PC as soon as possible since I will be moving out for school, and also I do not want to wait out for delivery.

Thanks in advance!
08-08-2017 11:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mahloot Online
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 117 thanks in 101 posts

RE: First time builder help
(08-08-2017 11:33 PM)ShakeyWarrior Wrote:  So I am looking to build a pc that would allow me to play some games but mainly use it for school purposes. As of right now, I do have planned build but I would like to have some insight on what I can swap out and change for my budget being around $600.

I don't see much that you could get cheaper on. If anything, I'm worried the Pentium processor may be limiting you in performance, especially for gaming. I'd highly recommend at least an Intel i3 processor, but an Intel i5 would do better but that would increase the budget you need to spend.

I'm thinking in this case that you should consider AMD Ryzen instead. Their performance level for the price is very impressive compared to Intel's current lineup. Probably a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 3.

Otherwise, the only other major recommendation is to change your RAM selection from 1x8GB stick to 2x4GB sticks in order to get dual-channel performance from the processor. Only having 1 stick will reduce the speed of the RAM.

(08-08-2017 11:33 PM)ShakeyWarrior Wrote:  if I were to walk into a CC store (Kennedy Rd to be specific) can they give me a proposed build with my $600 budget?

You can go in to any of our locations and a sales rep can help you make a quote for a complete system build. The rep will be able to make recommendations and pick parts that are in stock so you don't wait for parts that would need to be ordered. I'd speak with them as well about Ryzen and pricing to see if that could fit your budget, you can probably get better performance for similar price to the Intel configuration you made on PC Part Picker.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017 04:24 PM by Mahloot.)
08-09-2017 04:21 PM
ShakeyWarrior Offline

Given 1 thanks in 1 posts

RE: First time builder help
(08-09-2017 04:21 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 11:33 PM)ShakeyWarrior Wrote:  So I am looking to build a pc that would allow me to play some games but mainly use it for school purposes. As of right now, I do have planned build but I would like to have some insight on what I can swap out and change for my budget being around $600.

I don't see much that you could get cheaper on. If anything, I'm worried the Pentium processor may be limiting you in performance, especially for gaming. I'd highly recommend at least an Intel i3 processor, but an Intel i5 would do better but that would increase the budget you need to spend.

I'm thinking in this case that you should consider AMD Ryzen instead. Their performance level for the price is very impressive compared to Intel's current lineup. Probably a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 3.

Otherwise, the only other major recommendation is to change your RAM selection from 1x8GB stick to 2x4GB sticks in order to get dual-channel performance from the processor. Only having 1 stick will reduce the speed of the RAM.

(08-08-2017 11:33 PM)ShakeyWarrior Wrote:  if I were to walk into a CC store (Kennedy Rd to be specific) can they give me a proposed build with my $600 budget?

You can go in to any of our locations and a sales rep can help you make a quote for a complete system build. The rep will be able to make recommendations and pick parts that are in stock so you don't wait for parts that would need to be ordered. I'd speak with them as well about Ryzen and pricing to see if that could fit your budget, you can probably get better performance for similar price to the Intel configuration you made on PC Part Picker.
Thank you for your help! And I do agree with you that going with the pentium can bottleneck/limit my pc's performance. I was looking into increasing my budget for a better cpu just to reduce the stress, because Ryzen does sound good from what I have been told.
08-09-2017 10:59 PM
 Thanks given by: Mahloot