Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help upgrading my PC
warpath Offline

Given 1 thanks in 1 posts

Help upgrading my PC
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and I have a budget of 800-1000$. I'd appreciate if you could give me some advice on what I should upgrade with this amount of money. I mostly use it for gaming so I want to have good fps in games like CS:GO, Overwatch, Battlefield 1. Disregard Windows since I already own a copy. Thank you.

Specs:
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Storage
1TB Seagate Disk Device (SATA)
07-18-2017 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 330 thanks in 255 posts

RE: Help upgrading my PC
That computer is still pretty relatively new and not out of date, you could add minor things to it like upgrade your RAM from 8GB to 16GB, if you have 2x4GB sticks in there, try to find the matching pair of 2x4GB so you have the same timing and etc, for the memory.

You mentioned you are using a 1TB HDD for storage, do you have an SSD for boot? Getting a 250-256GB or 500-512GB SSD for C:\ Windows just for your programs and apps and game launchers like Steam, etc would make the computer much more faster and just use the 1TB for storage and game loading, that would take load off the harddrive as O/S and game would not be on the same disk increasing speed.

The only other thing to do with that amount is part with the GTX 970 and upgrade to a GTX 1070 or 1080 graphics card. Unfortunately since everyone is mining like crazy and video cards are in high demand at the moment the prices are insane. Months ago you could find a GTX 1070 for $500 on sale, now its about $700.

Your best bet would be a 1080: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_i..._id=096784

but I would wait for the prices to come down because of the shortage and demand for video cards. If you threw a 1080 in there, RAM up to 16GB the thing would be a beast for years to come. You'd be playing the games you mentioned on ultra.

Having an SSD for BOOT and games on a separate drive helps as well.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
07-18-2017 07:23 PM
 Thanks given by: Distwrought , Mahloot , warpath
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 605 thanks in 467 posts

What heyyahblah said, plus look into a used 4770K or 4790K to get more life out of that motherboard and RAM.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
07-18-2017 07:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Mahloot , warpath
warpath Offline

Allright! Thank you!!
07-19-2017 10:44 AM
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

The GTX 970 is still a very excellent graphics card and should perform very well for the games you listed above if you are still gaming at 1080p/60Hz resolution.

If you're still going to be using a 1080p/60Hz monitor for the foreseeable future, I would skip on upgrading to the current Nvidia generation and wait for the next generation Nvidia cards (they usually upgrade generations every 2 years or so, so I would expect probably some time next year). The GTX 970 is a great card and upgrading to a GTX 1070/1080, in my opinion, won't be worth it at this time if you are still using a 1080p/60Hz monitor.

If you're going to upgrade to a 4k monitor or a higher refresh rate 1080p monitor (144Hz or 240Hz), then at that point you should consider an upgrade to a GTX 1070 / 1080 for the added performance that would be needed for such monitors, but as pointed out already, video card prices have gone up due to stock shortages.

Personally, I still game on a 1080p/60Hz monitor. My GTX 1060 which is fairly equivalent to your GTX 970 in terms of performance can easily handle anything I throw at it at 1080p with nearly or completely maxed out graphics settings in most games. My GTX 1060 was my first video card upgrade since the GTX 580 (yes I skipped 600-series, 700-series and 900-series entirely. That GTX 580 did very well for me for a long time.)

Your money would be better spent in a SSD and RAM upgrade for now as already suggested by other forum members (SSD upgrade alone would give your system a big boost in performance). Save the rest of your money for video card upgrade in the future when it becomes more necessary, you may end up skipping this entire current generation of video cards by the time a video card upgrade is really needed.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 12:16 PM by Mahloot.)
07-19-2017 12:14 PM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah , warpath
warpath Offline

So I went with your advice heyyahblah and I bought an SSD and 1 stick of 8gb of memory RAM. The reason I got only 1 instead of 2x4gb its because my cooler overlaps one the memory slots in my motherboard so its imposible to install another stick in there. I already installed the SSD but for some reason when I insert the nrw RAM my computer doesn't boot anymore. Does it work when you mix up dual channel with single channel? If someone could help me with this i'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

By the way, the new RAM i got its DDR3 and the same speed as the ones i had before.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2017 05:22 PM by warpath.)
07-21-2017 05:18 PM
 Thanks given by: Mahloot
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

(07-21-2017 05:18 PM)warpath Wrote:  So I went with your advice heyyahblah and I bought an SSD and 1 stick of 8gb of memory RAM. The reason I got only 1 instead of 2x4gb its because my cooler overlaps one the memory slots in my motherboard so its imposible to install another stick in there. I already installed the SSD but for some reason when I insert the nrw RAM my computer doesn't boot anymore. Does it work when you mix up dual channel with single channel? If someone could help me with this i'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

By the way, the new RAM i got its DDR3 and the same speed as the ones i had before.

That shouldn't cause an issue.

Dual-channel implies that you have 2 matching sticks of RAM plugged into the matching sockets (Usually sockets A1 and B1 or sockets A2 and B2). This means the CPU can access both sticks simultaneously for better performance.

Single-channel implies that you have 1 stick of RAM plugged in, effectively cutting the maximum speed of the RAM by half (ie. DDR3-1600MHz, if you only put in one stick, will be running at 800MHz. 2 sticks x 800MHz = 1600MHz).

You can mix both in the system, i.e. have 2 matching sticks running in dual-channel and have 1 stick running in single channel, but that could affect overall performance. As long as all the sticks are at the same speed and timings, there should be no problems.

In your case, as you mentioned, it's not working. So things to check:
  • Is the RAM fully inserted into the slot with the locking clips engaged? (I've seen a few times where RAM was not inserted all the way, just a couple millimeters is all it takes to stop it from working)
  • Is all the RAM at the same speed and timings?
  • Is it the same voltage? (DDR3 vs. DDR3L (low voltage))
  • Is your matching pair correctly inserted into 2 slots that are paired, and the 3rd stick by itself in one of the other 2 paired slots? (see your motherboard manual to verify which slots are paired together. Also, they are usually painted different colors on the board itself for visual reference, but not always)
  • Is there a firmware update available for your motherboard that may improve RAM compatibility?

If it all checks out, it could also just be incompatible. You can always bring in your computer with you to the store for the technicians to verify that it is correctly installed and compatible RAM, and exchange if it's not the case (be sure to have the packaging for the RAM and your receipt on hand for exchanges).

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
07-24-2017 01:27 PM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah