Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
4TB WD or Seagate HDD vs Offsite backup?
Wsmith Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

4TB WD or Seagate HDD vs Offsite backup?
Hey!
I got a small confusion regarding backing up my PC. My PC is filled with 1000s of photos, music, videos, Games and other important files. Last day I saw a BSOD issue on my PC which got me worried if my HDD has failed. But a restart was all it needed and it never occurred again.
I am worried if my HDD is failing although not yet. I have more than 1.2 TB data on my PC. I want to set up a back up system. I am thinking whether I should just buy a 4TB WD or Seagate and setup to sync data into it automatically or go for an off site back up service.
The later is expensive in long term, but when considering an external HDD is as vulnerable to failure as an internal HDD, I am wondering if it's the better choice.
What do you suggest I should do about it? Don't consider the financial aspect when giving advice, only data safety and security needs to be considered.
Thanks!
06-26-2017 01:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Given 601 thanks in 463 posts

RE: 4TB WD or Seagate HDD vs Offsite backup?
I recommend both, local backup to the external and a cloud solution (if the data is extremely important).

For an immediate next step I would grab that external today and get the backup going ASAP so that data is somewhere else. Next step now that you have a second copy of the data is to consider the amount of online space you need and select a provider that fits (Dropbox/Crashplan/Google..).

You can review a bunch here:
https://www.lifewire.com/online-backup-s...ed-2624712

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
06-26-2017 07:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Mahloot