Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MS Project unable to open file
simon_vanbeek Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

MS Project unable to open file
I worked with mpp file for several months but suddenly on one day I can't open it.
Error message:
The file "X.mpp" cannot be opened.
- Check that the file name and path are correct
- Check that the file format is recognized by Project
Project file saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 98 can't be opened.
If your file is from earlier version, open it in that version, click save as (File menu), and save in MPX format. Open the MPX file in the current version of Project. When you use this method, project data is imported, but formatting is lost.
My comments:
- MS Project 2010 SP1
- No major changes were made to the file (only operational). File was created in 2010
- Other mpp file can be successfully opened except this
- On other machine with 2010 it also can't be opened
- On other machine with 2007 asks to upgrade in order to open the file
- File name and path is correct
Please help!
05-21-2017 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simon_vanbeek Offline

RE: MS Project unable to open file
Guys, what can you recommend? how to be?
05-22-2017 10:20 AM
KennethMcmillan Offline

Given 2 thanks in 1 posts

1 On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
To restore program shortcuts to the Windows Start menu, make sure to select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box.
2 Click Start.
Notes: This procedure detects and repairs problems associated with the installation of Microsoft Project, such as registry settings and missing installation files. It does not repair personal files, such as project files or templates.

If this procedure does not fix the problem, you may need to reinstall Microsoft Project.
At least if you fail these ways to get the file to work, you can try to restore the file to this Microsoft project repair online service. On this reference https://onlinefilerepair.com/en/project-...nline.html you can get more information how to repair ms project file online.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 01:20 PM by KennethMcmillan.)
05-22-2017 01:18 PM
 Thanks given by: Mahloot , simon_vanbeek
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

Since the file won't open on multiple computers, I would suspect the file has become corrupted. I don't personally know of any tools to fix corrupted MS Project files, though some probably exist. The poster above has provided a link to a site that claims to do MS Project file repairs, but I cannot say that I am personally familiar with that website.

Do you have a recent backup of the file you could restore and try again? Otherwise, maybe try the website mentioned by the poster above?

EDIT: Quick check on the site mentioned by the poster above, it's a paid service, not free. Please be sure to research the legitimacy of that site as I am not personally familiar with it before providing them credit card information. They say it's $5 for any file up to 100MB size, then extra $1 for every 50MB over the initial 100MB. There are many scammers out there unfortunately, please be diligent.

I'd strongly recommend recovering from a backup instead to avoid any potential scams of sites or tools claiming to fix corrupted MS Project files.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 03:29 PM by Mahloot.)
05-23-2017 03:23 PM
 Thanks given by: simon_vanbeek
simon_vanbeek Offline

Guys, I appreciate all your advice. You helped me a lot!
05-25-2017 04:51 PM