Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[CPU] Precursor to Kaby Lake issue
Pontiac Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Question Precursor to Kaby Lake issue
I'm building a machine on PC Part Picker, and received a notice with Kaby Lake processors, indicating the mobo may need a firmware update prior to it functioning.

Although I HAVE done firmware upgrades to mobos before, the worry I have is that when I get the machine, the board I get will need the upgrade, and I won't have a CPU to do the upgrade. I've done upgrades to Mobos before when they WERE non-POSTing with newer CPUs back in the mid to late 2000s, and when I had access to several different CPUs. Its not like that today for me. With my current rig (Cira 2013) the CPU+Mobo just worked together, and off I went.

Is there a failsafe on these boards that even if the CPU isn't fully supported that it'll at least allow the firmware to be upgraded? Is it a complete show stopper that the machine just won't POST? Does it depend on how the moon and sun are aligned?

If its the case that its a non-POST situation, will CC allow the machine to be brought in to get the firmware update done with a different CPU they have on the shelf or in behind their desk? I'm not going to buy a second CPU just to do a firmware update.

I can't buy the machine until at least Q1 2018, but, starting to do serious research on the hardware, so this isn't an immediate concern.
05-03-2017 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 611 thanks in 472 posts

RE: Precursor to Kaby Lake issue
You are probably getting this message because you are trying to pair a Z170 board with a Kaby Lake CPU, to avoid the risk of a out of date BIOS issue go for a Z270 board instead which supports Kaby Lake from release.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 09:44 AM by Defiant.)
05-04-2017 09:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pontiac Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

RE: Precursor to Kaby Lake issue
That seemed to calm the Picker down. Thanks.
05-04-2017 11:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply