Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Hard Drive] SSD killed MOBO, or MOBO killed SSD?
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

RE: SSD killed MOBO, or MOBO killed SSD?
Can't say I've seen many problems with Samsung SSDs, considering the amount we sell vs the amount that come back with defects, it's extremely very low failure rate.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
01-18-2017 05:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

(01-18-2017 05:37 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  Can't say I've seen many problems with Samsung SSDs, considering the amount we sell vs the amount that come back with defects, it's extremely very low failure rate.

Well my 500GB was a failure after 9 months and not right away, which if it failed right away, it would have been better for me, then literally copying everything to the desktop, going to bed to backup tmrw and then losing everything, and the motherboard going wonky, which I felt stupid dragging into the store just to have CC tell me it was OK, and maybe I "missed something" while testing. SMH. No, I didn't miss anything.

I've done some searching and I've seen nothing but bad reviews online from Samsung these days all across the board, from newer end Smart TV's, fridges, dryers, washers, dish washers, The Note 7 Battery fiasco, it seems they (Samsung) have spread themselves way too thin and the QC has dropped right into the crapper.

Thinking about my Samsung TV 1080p 120hz from 2011 makes me wonder if these newer end models are as crappier builds compared to my older model as people are reviewing them and leaving nasty comments online, even 4K models being told to avoid and go with another brand.

I still don't understand how when I search for best SSD online it always comes up listing 850 PRO and 850 EVO on the top tier, its ridiculous. I call some B.S.

The 950 PRO M.2 NVMe even has heating issues that throttles the SSD that people have resorted to installing passive m.2 cooling units on the modules to keep the temps below 40C so the modules don't heat up and throttle. Talk about poor QC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P6Z2BQU

How do I know the 1TB 850 EVO I have left now will not fail in my gaming rig? What's the QC on that 1TB drive ... now I wonder. No, they've spread themselves way too thin.

I bet you have less returns on Extreme Pro's and Intel SSD's over the Samsung. It's too bad I already spent the money and can't get rid of it.

It may sound like I'm ranting but I'm seriously disappointed. Samsung should pay for my fking recovery.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
01-19-2017 03:02 AM
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 604 thanks in 466 posts

heyyahblah, DOAs happen and electronics go faulty. It happens to every single manufacturer.

The fact you didn't have a backup of your information is most likely what is upsetting you, this is a hard lesson for people to learn as they don't take backups seriously until the data is gone.

Regardless of if you are able to recover the data, grab a cheap external hdd and start backing up to that on a regular basis.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
01-19-2017 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Defiant, I'm one who practices what I preach. I even made backups for my sister and a friend using Macrium since they both have SSDs. When we had that GTA Flood of July 2013, thank god I made/had backups of my main PC (the one in sig) when everything took a bath. It cost over $55k to renovate the entire basement, mold treat, etc etc, etc.

I waited almost a year for insurance to pay up, so late 2014, those lagging cucks, making cuts here and there, and finally was able to reno and complete everything, 2015. Come late 2015, I had the cash to build but 1151 was around the corner with Skylake so everyone said, wait wait ... don't waste your money now on Z97 and 4590k build, go new. So I waited again, until 2016.

I even didn't have a computer for about 2 1/2 years as I told Bungz, relying on a laptop for all my daily work as I was exhausted and drained of money. I couldn't game or do anything because it so old and slow, but at least I had my files.

Now I have since moved my office upstairs. I'm done with the "man cave" crap. And yea, I'm cheesed about the DATA LOSS because I literally copied it on Friday night 6th Jan at like 2am, and went to bed and Sat 7th Jan at 11am it was gone.

So yea I do make backups but I didn't expect going to bed and waking up with everything gone, its as if I got robbed. If there was a severe storm or lighting or fire or something, fine I could bite myself, but doing a normal routine without any warning, yea that is a piss off, especially since I JUST bought a new 4TB drive from COSTCO to do some automating.

01-19-2017 06:51 PM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

So the recovery is not happening. Not sure if these guys are being serious or a total joke and quoting me a price like that. I don't understand how a SSD could have such bad damage like that. I'm not going to post my S/N but this is the email I received after sending in the drive to DATARECOVERY.COM. Not sure if these guys are reputable or charge so much because they are a "BIG" company, but here was my email. If anyone is interesting in reading.

At this point IDK about SSD's anymore. Anyone else know a better rate then these guys in the GTA? I probably wouldn't use them.

Quote:Case #: xxxxxxxxx
Date: 2017-01-25
Case Manager: Justin M.
Recovery Chance*: Excellent
Priority Level: Standard
Turnaround: 7-10 business days (estimate only)

Media:
Samsung / S XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Media Failure Details:

Electronic Malfunction

Notes:
Electronics malfunction is causing inaccessibility. This recovery process is very labor-intensive and will take several days. We expect a full recovery (100%) once we are complete. No data, no charge.

Evaluated Cost : $1450.00

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2017 01:44 AM by heyyahblah.)
01-28-2017 01:41 AM