Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Hard Drive] SSD killed MOBO, or MOBO killed SSD?
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 323 thanks in 250 posts

SSD killed MOBO, or MOBO killed SSD?
Thanks for all the help all from the previous thread. I wanted to make a new one not to derail the other one.

Seems like my problem is a little more deeper rooted then I originally thought thinking it was just the SSD. I wanted to reply sooner but have been busy all day testing and troubleshooting.

So just for the sake of things I was going to play around inside my computer, boot a linux distro and see even if the SSD drive was detected there. For some reason I wanted to test the SATA 1 port that it was connected to (the SSD) and see just in case.

I tested 2 different mechanical HDD drives and a DVD drive, and even used a different SATA cable. Everything on SATA 1 shows up as "EMPTY" in the BIOS.

I connected and tested all 5 other SATA ports (6 in total)

SATA 0, 2, 3, 4, 5 detect both HDD's that I have and detect the DVD drive. SATA port #1 does not detect anything.

I tried plugging in the SSD into the other SATA ports and same thing, no dice. Doesn't show up at all, and prevents the computer from booting when plugged into a SATA port. Constantly stuck at POST SCREEN when the drive is plugged into the computer.

So, now it seems I have a bigger problem then anticipated.

My question would be now is, is it possible that somehow SATA1 port has failed or become damaged on the motherboard and the failure of this port would cause the SSD to die?

Or would a "power surge" or something from the SSD cause the SATA1 port to die? I'm getting an assumption here that either SATA1 port is now bad or completely dead and either it caused the SSD drive to fail or the SSD drive caused the port to fail.

I spoke with CC and they said they can test the motherboard and SSD for me and run a full diagnostics and let me know if the port is dead/gone on the board and see if there is any chance that I can salvage the DATA on the SSD or get it to read.

This way I can pull it out and start an RMA with Gigabyte for the motherboard and RMA with Samsung and just do it all through Canada Computers and wait it out. Possibly buy another board in the meantime?

God, this is really stressing me out.

Suggestions? Anyone? Or does it seem like I've really hit rock bottom?

Thanks.
AngryAngryAngry

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
01-10-2017 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David Offline
Posting Freak

Given 58 thanks in 48 posts

RE: SSD killed MOBO, or MOBO killed SSD?
Reading your post a few times, it would make sense that a surge could have caused the issue. It would be the first time hearing a SSD causing a port failure (i will admit). I would lean on the side of caution and say power surge that wiped out the port and drive.

Really hate to say it... sounds like RMA time (if they will RMA it)

The other Dave
Current Rig:

NZXT H440
MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
I7 6700K
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo V2
Samsung Evo 128 SSD
Adata 240 SSD
WD 2TB Blue
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 10:40 AM by David.)
01-10-2017 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 592 thanks in 456 posts

RMA the SSD through CC (if they still do it as suggested) or directly through Samsung

RMA the motherboard with reason "SATA1 port not functional"

Now is a good time if you want to grab another Z170 motherboard (I think you had a Z170) as they will basically be on clearance sales now/soon, and this time get an Asus or MSI so you can use local RMA. Then sell the RMA replacement when you get it back.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
01-10-2017 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks guys, that's what I am going to do, and thanks Defiant you read my mind.

Yes, I do have the Z170X chipset. I'm not going to wait 6 weeks for the RMA motherboard to be returned to me. You are correct man. All the Z170's are going on clearance because they are being replaced with Z270 chipsets so CC is getting rid of them.

I'm going to look at CC online and walk into the store and see what's the best bet to replace it with, and see what the best deal is. CC has some Z270 ASUS and MSI in stock. If I find the price difference between Z170 and Z270 is marginal then I will just replace the board with Z270 chipset. Even though I don't need it. If the price is the same.

I currently have the Gaming-5 from Gigabyte and I paid $240 for that board when I picked it up. So once I get the RMA replacement in 6 weeks I am going to sell it, like you said and just get something decent now to get back online. Considering I paid so much for the board I should be able to get at least what, $140-150 for it right? I'm guessing here.

So with that in mind 270 might be an option. We'll see. I have to sort out some shiit and get the gears in motion.

Man, right after the holidays too lol. My bank is going to love me.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 07:35 PM by heyyahblah.)
01-10-2017 07:33 PM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

So CC had the computer for a few days because I wanted to make sure and they said that the board is perfectly fine and everything works. WTH? Why couldn't I get SATA1 to read anything, and they are telling me everything is fine?

Super confused here, was I doing something wrong with my testing at home?

Going to go pick up the tower and see for myself whats up.

01-16-2017 05:11 PM
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 111 thanks in 96 posts

Bad SATA cable? I'm at a loss myself. Please update this thread after you've spoken to the service center, I'm curious as well.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
01-16-2017 06:16 PM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

(01-16-2017 06:16 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  Bad SATA cable? I'm at a loss myself. Please update this thread after you've spoken to the service center, I'm curious as well.

Hey there, no one has a clue. The only conclusion they could give me is that the Samsung SSD is indeed toast. I need to RMA it. As for the motherboard its completely fine.

When my SSD stopped working, I tested the SATA 1 port that it was plugged into with 3 different drives, always came up as empty, nothing, nada.

CC service center brought it in, BIOS was RESET, computer tested and everything is stable and works. Same SATA cable everything. They could not give me any explanation as to why it wasn't working for me, then I bring it in, let it sit there 5 days and it works for them. I'm sitting here scratching my head. Nothing was over-clocked. The only setting that was on was XMP on Profile 1. That was disabled when optimal defaults were restored.

No one said that XMP should prevent SATA 1 from working.

The only explanation I got was (and he said he was going out on a limb here) was that I could have experienced a power surge, that did kill the SSD and this tripped an OVER-CURRENT protection on the motherboard? Sort of like a breaker on a fuse panel. That is why it wasn't working for me, and then when staff played around with it the over-current reset itself and the port started working again??

I've never heard of such a thing before but that was the best explanation I got. They said to them otherwise the system seems stable, besides the SSD. Nothing wrong detected by the port or the sata cable. So I had to take it home as is.

Huh Huh Huh

I'm super confused here as to what happned. I know I was testing everything properly. Before I sent it in, I couldn't get SATA 1 to read any drives in the BIOS or in Windows. When CC got it, they said it was all good, so I am mind boggled.

I have a dead SSD in 1 hand and a working motherboard in the other. I'm still planning to send out the drive to get a data recovery assessment and see if it can be recovered and the costs.

The only thing I was told was to keep a drive plugged into SATA 1 and watch for any problems, like drive not being detected or read/write issues. Otherwise they can't do much as according to them nothing is wrong.

Welp, this seems pretty dumb. I was positive it wasn't working. I feel like all that time wasted for nothing. Not much I can do now but wait.

On a side note, I would like to mention that ever since I had this board I notice some weird issues upon COLD BOOT. It happens at random, so I'm not sure if its normal behaviour or not.

Sometimes when I cold boot the system, it powers up and I get a blank screen, no signal for about 10-15 seconds until the PC speaker beeps and the computer posts and boots up. Other times I hit power and it posts instantly and boots up.

I can't replicate this behaviour as it happens at random, but I wanted to throw that out there as well.

If you have any suggestions for me or troubleshooting tips I'll be glad to take them. I'm not loading anything onto the system (as I'm going to fresh format) when I'm doing screwing around, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

01-17-2017 02:02 AM
 Thanks given by: Mahloot
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

(01-17-2017 02:02 AM)heyyahblah Wrote:  Sometimes when I cold boot the system, it powers up and I get a blank screen, no signal for about 10-15 seconds until the PC speaker beeps and the computer posts and boots up. Other times I hit power and it posts instantly and boots up.

We usually see this when "fast boot" is enabled in the BIOS, if for any reason there is a full power loss (not just PC turned off, but unplugged or power outage), then on next boot it usually does a "slow boot" (checks memory) and takes longer than the usual fast boot.

I know my own Gigabyte Z97X board does this. Fast boot every time as long as it doesn't lose power completely. When I unplugged the PC for moving earlier this month, first boot after restoring power was a "slow boot" as expected.

(01-17-2017 02:02 AM)heyyahblah Wrote:  CC service center brought it in, BIOS was RESET, computer tested and everything is stable and works. Same SATA cable everything. They could not give me any explanation as to why it wasn't working for me, then I bring it in, let it sit there 5 days and it works for them. I'm sitting here scratching my head. Nothing was over-clocked. The only setting that was on was XMP on Profile 1. That was disabled when optimal defaults were restored.

I've had a handful of times in our own service centre here where I checked every tab and setting in the BIOS and everything seems correct to me, but for whatever reason, resetting the BIOS to default settings fixes things... I really don't have an explanation as to why this happens sometimes. I can only assume the saved settings became corrupted for some odd reason.

(01-17-2017 02:02 AM)heyyahblah Wrote:  The only explanation I got was (and he said he was going out on a limb here) was that I could have experienced a power surge, that did kill the SSD and this tripped an OVER-CURRENT protection on the motherboard? Sort of like a breaker on a fuse panel. That is why it wasn't working for me, and then when staff played around with it the over-current reset itself and the port started working again??

Plausible. I'll admit that sometimes in the end, we simply don't have an answer as to why or how it broke and all I can say is we fixed it by doing a reset or replacing a component.

For example, I often get asked "why did my HDD fail?". Often all I can say is that my testing equipment shows it has failed, but I don't know what caused the failure (surge? wear and tear? overheat? dropped? manufacturer defect?) and my only answer I can give is that this part is broken and replacing it will resolve the problem, without any real explanation as to what broke it in the first place.

It may seem weird, but sometimes for us all that is important is to identify what is broken and fix it, but how it broke can remain a mystery.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2017 07:47 PM by Mahloot.)
01-17-2017 07:46 PM
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

I just want to add one more reason for the "slow boot" as well that I just remembered: improper shutdown / forcing PC off (i.e. Windows locks up and you press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to force your PC to turn off) will usually result in the next boot being a "slow boot".

The motherboard BIOS seems to record on shutdown if it was Windows giving the shutdown signal, or if it was from forcing a power off by holding the power button. If it wasn't Windows, it should do a "slow boot" to verify hardware to ensure it wasn't a hardware problem or bad overclocking settings that caused a stability problem.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
2TB WD Green (Storage)
01-17-2017 08:10 PM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

(01-17-2017 07:46 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  We usually see this when "fast boot" is enabled in the BIOS, if for any reason there is a full power loss (not just PC turned off, but unplugged or power outage), then on next boot it usually does a "slow boot" (checks memory) and takes longer than the usual fast boot.

I know my own Gigabyte Z97X board does this. Fast boot every time as long as it doesn't lose power completely. When I unplugged the PC for moving earlier this month, first boot after restoring power was a "slow boot" as expected.

Well, finally thank you for the answer to that question. That explains a lot right there. So I'm guessing my motherboard is doing the same as your Z97 and this is normal behaviour for Gigabyte boards. I will experiment and try this out next time. I will test and turn off the power completely from PSU and unplug and see if that makes the computer "slow boot" vs the "fast boot" like you said. I am curious now. I guess it seems like a reasonable explanation. Thanks for this, as no one was able to give me an explanation up until now.

Mahloot Wrote:For example, I often get asked "why did my HDD fail?". Often all I can say is that my testing equipment shows it has failed, but I don't know what caused the failure (surge? wear and tear? overheat? dropped? manufacturer defect?) and my only answer I can give is that this part is broken and replacing it will resolve the problem, without any real explanation as to what broke it in the first place.

It may seem weird, but sometimes for us all that is important is to identify what is broken and fix it, but how it broke can remain a mystery.

That is what is always going to suck, because I was hoping to get an answer. Now it looks like it will just remain a mystery. A mystery with the motherboard and the SATA 1 port not working for me, but working for CC and now a mystery as to what killed the SSD ...

I'm quite sad to say that I ended up with a less than 9 month old 850 EVO with <2TB writes on it, and it lemoned on me, making me lose everything I JUST copied onto the desktop the night before bed. Really annoying and depressing at the same time. I literally finished using it, proper shutdown and went to bed. Next day it was gone.

Now, comes the pain staking part of sending the drive into DATA RECOVERY SERVICES and hoping they can retrieve (with ease) at a reasonable price the data, that is now my main concern. After this, I'm hoping I get everything back, I will RMA this P.O.S. into Samsung via CC and see what junk drive they end up sending back to me.

A refurbed 850 EVO or a brand new one, we shall see. That will be the interesting part. If I get back a refurb drive then I think I'm going to drop Samsung for SSDs, and let them know I'm disappointed in their product, and to step up the QC. They are making too much shiit these days and looks like QC is really suffering/going into the dumps.

Had I known this, prior to everyone recommending Samsung, I would have spent the same amount of cash, or even a little more and gone with an MLC NAND based SSD, like a Sandisk Extreme Pro or Intel Series SSD and probably they would have been more reliable then the Samsung branded TLC drives, even though they are just as expensive.

SMH.
Angry

01-17-2017 08:12 PM