Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Avoid Asus At All Costs!
mgwalden Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Avoid Asus At All Costs!
Asus is by far one of the most unprofessional, unaccountable, companies I have ever dealt with. We sent a computer in for repair. We waited 5 weeks for a response. Finally, after diagnosing the issue, an Asus representative, Ritendra Prakash, agreed to return the computer to us in order that we could attempt to retrieve data from the hard drive before they replaced the computer. (We were unable to do this when we initially sent the computer in as the computer would not power on.) Instead of returning it to us as agreed, the repair department replaced the hard drive and destroyed our hard drive and then returned the computer to us! After over four hours on the phone with Asus, the company would not take any responsibility for their error. We have several emails confirming the conversations/agreements that took place and yet, Asus refused to compensate us in anyway. Asus has serious issues with communication between their departments and communication with the customer is almost impossible to initiate. My phone calls were not returned. When I did manage to get through, I was disconnected twice. In summary, this is a very disorganized unprofessional company not worth purchasing from. Look elsewhere if you are considering purchasing a computer. Hopefully this review saves you time, money and a great deal of frustration.

01-06-2017 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

RE: Avoid Asus At All Costs!
Unfortunately when it comes to DATA and SENSITIVE information the user is responsible and not the company. You should always know this. If you are not computer savvy, you should have gotten someone to open up the computer, remove the hard drive and put it in an enclosure, and back it up for you to some other storage medium. Then replace the hard drive and send it back to the manufacturer for RMA.

There will always be errors along the way with ANY COMPANY out there, when you are dealing through multiple channels of people. ANY COMPANY. Do you really think the memo Prakash wrote went to the RMA department? Then it actually reached the tech department? That reached repair department (and so on and so on ...) you get the idea.

When it comes to computer data, always follow the 3-2-1 rule.

3 copies of your data, 2 on different mediums, 1 copy off-site. So you could back up your computers to a NAS, then on a monthly/weekly basis, back up your NAS to a USB HDD that goes off-site for storage (e.g. a friend or relative's house) or to the cloud.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
01-06-2017 05:50 PM
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

It is standard procedure for all computer manufacturers, not just Asus, to wipe / reinstall Windows and/or replace drives if found to be defective without any data backup being done when sending in a computer for warranty repair. No manufacturer will provide any compensation for lost data.

The user is responsible for backing up sensitive data on a regular basis. This is often also listed in the terms-of-use and/or warranty policies for all computer manufacturers that they are not responsible for your data.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
01-08-2017 11:55 AM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Talk about foot in mouth.

After posting this, last night or yesterday rather my SamSHIIT 850 EVO 500GB decided not to get detected by the motherboard anymore. With only <2TB of writes on it and 9 months old.

I'm super pist off.

01-08-2017 06:21 PM
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 603 thanks in 465 posts

(01-08-2017 06:21 PM)heyyahblah Wrote:  Talk about foot in mouth.

After posting this, last night or yesterday rather my SamSHIIT 850 EVO 500GB decided not to get detected by the motherboard anymore. With only <2TB of writes on it and 9 months old.

I'm super pist off.

Still in warranty period?

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
01-08-2017 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Yea, 4 years to go. But now I'm hearing that Samsung RMA in Canada is a nightmare for SSDs according to DSL REPORTS and there was DATA on their that I just copied over that I needed. SMH.

Like I literally JUST copied it over friday night and Saturday morning the drive was not being detected. I'm so pist off. It's not even funny.

If I put it in a USB 3.0 enclosure it gets detected in Device Manager as a 500GB EVO SCSI DRIVE, but no volume information and locks up the computer if you try and use Disk Management, nothing comes up, even with disk part. The Lenovo X220 see's it in BIOS as well but does nothing.

I'm so cheesed RN

01-09-2017 12:30 AM
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 603 thanks in 465 posts

Might as well get the RMA process started then, let us know how it goes.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
01-09-2017 10:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

Did you buy the Samsung SSD at Canada Computers? If so, Canada Computers currently processes warranty requests for Samsung SSDs. This will not be forever, I was informed that it's temporary until Samsung gets their own RMA processes sorted out for Canada. I have not yet been told by our Head Office to stop this procedure, so it's still in effect at this time.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
01-09-2017 03:55 PM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

(01-09-2017 03:55 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  Did you buy the Samsung SSD at Canada Computers? If so, Canada Computers currently processes warranty requests for Samsung SSDs. This will not be forever, I was informed that it's temporary until Samsung gets their own RMA processes sorted out for Canada. I have not yet been told by our Head Office to stop this procedure, so it's still in effect at this time.

Yes I did, thanks for this information. I will go ask my local CC store about this.

I'm going to make another thread as this issue has become more severe

01-10-2017 12:15 AM
jenniferhudson Offline

Given 1 thanks in 1 posts

Dont give up that easily. Call corporate and raise hell
05-28-2017 11:11 PM