Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Canada Computers Website Suggestion Box
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Given 138 thanks in 127 posts

RE: Canada Computers Website Suggestion Box
Looks like the packets are getting the runaround somewheres along the way from the traceroute.

[Image: currentbuild.png]
03-01-2011 05:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mystryman Offline
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTRY

Given 267 thanks in 236 posts

I opened multiple tabs and refreshed the page about 50 times, Only had a load problem once.

ALL HAIL DISTWROUGHT!
BASED DISTWROUGHT
PRAISE, DISTWROUGHT SUPREME LEADER

#DISTWROUGHTLYFE
03-01-2011 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

The search engine times out on both mobile and home computer, using both servers. The normal pages are sluggish on the www. server, but fine on the internal server.

Is the www. server hosted at the same facility? If so, then packets are getting misrouted for the www. entry. I would check the canonical name entry in the DNS for "www." and make sure it specifies "www.canadacomputers.com." and the correct IP address.

03-01-2011 06:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oyiptong Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

The new website design is not as good usability wise.

Computer parts cannot be browsed from the first page, http://canadacomputers.com
I personally do not like the top navigation. Its annoying to have to hover the mouse to use it. Its even more annoying when using a trackpad.
Its more annoying when trying to choose different kinds of components one after the other.

The old drill-down menu on the left was much better. It seems there is less detail now, or perhaps its because the filters ("advanced search") are kinda wonky.
For instance, if I click "hard drive", the filters will only give me "Any" as manufacturer choice.
I have to completely drill down, going to say "external drive", then to "3.5"" to be able to select a manufacturer.
To a less determined user, the website may appear to be broken in that respect.

Anyhow, best wishes with the new website
03-03-2011 06:16 PM
Mark Offline
Posts Leader

Given 177 thanks in 144 posts

Seems down atm so i can't say :/

I even forget you can see sigs.

heh.
03-03-2011 09:42 PM
Oatmeal Offline

Given 6 thanks in 6 posts

(03-01-2011 03:13 PM)Admin Wrote:  
(03-01-2011 03:03 PM)Peter M Dodge Wrote:  Tried both for the sake of thoroughness. Was just at CC orleans trying to show them something on the site that I wanted to special order but the bloody thing kept timing out.. said Id come back with some printouts :\

Seems to be a temporary network issue, because we don't get a lot of complaints from customers about the speed issue today. (We did receive some complaints yesterday since the image server had some issues.) Could you please test it now and give us feed back? Thanks.

http://www.cc.com just timed out on me. 9:26pm using cogeco.ca and opendns. tried cc.com and it timed out too.

This forum works great though. how about move the store site to this server? Wink

Intel Core i5-2500K
Asus P8P67 Pro B3
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1333 DDR3
Corsair HX 750W
iCAN A2012B Case
Zalman CNPS-10X Performa CPU cooler
Zotac GTX770 Amped!
60GB Intel 520 SSD
60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 (still alive)
24" Acer H243H LCD
Win 7 Home Premium
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 10:29 PM by Oatmeal.)
03-03-2011 10:28 PM
Mystryman Offline
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTRY

Given 267 thanks in 236 posts

Yep, Site is down for me too

ALL HAIL DISTWROUGHT!
BASED DISTWROUGHT
PRAISE, DISTWROUGHT SUPREME LEADER

#DISTWROUGHTLYFE
03-03-2011 10:31 PM
ace_master Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

How is it possible that Canada Computers has been aware of the website problems for more than 3 days now and they haven't fixed them?! Computer systems are their specialty!! How can they not have a backup network of some sort?!

I recently spent about $1000 on my first ever Canada Computers purchase (and that was a lot more work than it should have been because the 'store stock' of 10 units indicated on the site for one of the products I went to buy was completely wrong. They didn't have ANY in stock at store level after driving 30 mins for just 2 items.)
This week, I came to buy a $500 video card, and haven't been able to do much of anything here because the site is all messed up... I have decided I'm better off going to a different local retailer tomorrow to complete my video card purchase.
I'm already regretting my previous purchase simply because of how disorganized Canada Computers is as a business... Are they secretly going out of business or something?

Disgruntled customer.
03-03-2011 11:42 PM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

It really is becoming quite striking how problematic the website is.

03-03-2011 11:50 PM
Oatmeal Offline

Given 6 thanks in 6 posts

(03-03-2011 11:42 PM)ace_master Wrote:  the 'store stock' of 10 units indicated on the site for one of the products I went to buy was completely wrong. They didn't have ANY in stock at store level after driving 30 mins for just 2 items.
This has happened to me numerous times. I've probably had more "misses" than "hits" when relying on their quoted stock levels.

I've had this problem at lots of stores though. Customers expect stock levels to be exact when they are only updated periodically (daily?) and include stock that is reserved for pickup/system builds.

Canada Computers simply need to prioritize how they look at things. Instead of "what is easy for them" it should be "what is best for the customer". That may be as simple as improving the disclaimer on the stock page.

Intel Core i5-2500K
Asus P8P67 Pro B3
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1333 DDR3
Corsair HX 750W
iCAN A2012B Case
Zalman CNPS-10X Performa CPU cooler
Zotac GTX770 Amped!
60GB Intel 520 SSD
60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 (still alive)
24" Acer H243H LCD
Win 7 Home Premium