Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GTX 970 False Advertising Lawsuit
Duelpwn Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Smile GTX 970 False Advertising Lawsuit
Well it looks like Nvidia messed up and false advertised the card, They lost the lawsuit and after contacting them, for my reimbursement they said I should contact the store I purchased it from, that would be Canada computers.

So I was wondering how your company is dealing with this problem and you should probably change all information on your site about the false advertised video card.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-settles-gt...g-lawsuit/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/07/29/nv...yers-money

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vie...ent-Refund
07-29-2016 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David Offline
Posting Freak

Given 59 thanks in 49 posts

RE: GTX 970 False Advertising Lawsuit
This is interesting. I thought they would deal direct with the customers

The other Dave
Current Rig:

NZXT H440
MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
I7 6700K
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo V2
Samsung Evo 128 SSD
Adata 240 SSD
WD 2TB Blue
07-31-2016 11:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 120 thanks in 104 posts

The United States justice system does not hold any jurisdiction in Canada. If you don't live in the U.S., you are not eligible for the reimbursement Nvidia has to pay out directly to owners of GTX 970.

Canada Computers is not liable or responsible for the production and advertised specifications of these video cards. We posted the information as provided to us by the manufacturers. As such, we are not providing any reimbursement.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
08-01-2016 10:45 AM
Duelpwn Offline

(07-31-2016 11:34 AM)David Wrote:  This is interesting. I thought they would deal direct with the customers

Direct Response from the Nvidia Store, Customer Service.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the NVIDIA online store.

I apologize for the inconvenience; you've reached the NVIDIA online
store. Unfortunately your order wasn't made through our shop. The
retailer you originally ordered from will be able to assist you with any
issues related to the purchase process.

If you need technical or warranty support, NVIDIA Customer Care can be
reached at:

Phone: 1-800-797-6530, Option 2 (International: +1 408-486-2000)
URL: http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Sincerely,
Angelo B.
NVIDIA online store
Customer Service
service@store.nvidia.com

End of E-mail

So basically, I'm out of luck then is what both companies are telling me, This makes me an unhappy customer and is hardly fair practice. I know its not Canada Computers fault, as Nvidia made the mistake.

According to this,
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/s...00520.html

false advertising is still illegal in Canada so I wonder whats going to happen with the Canadian Purchasers and I'm pretty sure there is a lot of us who were screwed over.

just wondering what everyone thinks on this matter and what steps I should take or should I just give up?, Contact a lawyer or what?
08-01-2016 08:53 PM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 330 thanks in 255 posts

(08-01-2016 10:45 AM)Mahloot Wrote:  The United States justice system does not hold any jurisdiction in Canada. If you don't live in the U.S., you are not eligible for the reimbursement Nvidia has to pay out directly to owners of GTX 970.

It's exactly what Mahloot said. Doesn't hold up anywhere outside of the US. I've read in another board that Nvidia is going to pay out $30 or $40 USD to all those American's that bought the 970 for the 3.5GB ram issue/fraud or whatever you want to call it.

Unless another country makes a class action lawsuit (eg. Canada, UK, Germany, AUS) then you won't see it happen.

You have to remember that USA is the land and has the reputation of suing people and legal loopholes and all that great legal BS, and has a population 350 million people, compared to the population of say Canada, UK, AUS, Germany, France. Where the population is so small and the majority of 970 users is minuscule and where we are so liberal and lazy that couldn't even be bothered to come up with such a suit in the first place nothing will happen. It's usually always like that.

So no, personally I don't think anyone outside of USA will get reimbursed for the 970's.

Right now Microsoft had to dish out $10k to a woman for screwing up her computer for "forced Windows 10 upgrade" and I think the state of Florida is launching a class action against Microsoft against the so called "forced update to W10" that you were unable to stop, claiming it damaged computers. I think it was Florida but I'm not sure.

Telling you man, its an American thing. lol.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
08-02-2016 12:36 AM
lovecanada Offline

Hi Duelpwn. The Canada competition bureau has powerful laws however your best bet is to use your provincial Consumer Protection Act. I did this for a kitchen appliance that did not perform as advertised. I fought for a year with the store and the manufacturer with no results. Then I filed a claim in small claims court using the wording below and received a full refund within days.

'As a consequence of this breach of contract, I am requesting that the [appliance] described above (you must describe the item precisely) be returned to [the retail store you purchased it from] and a full refund, including applicable taxes and costs of filing this claim be issued to me, based on the rights described in the Ontario “Consumer Protection Act, 2002, S.O. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, PART III, UNFAIR PRACTICES, 14. False, misleading or deceptive representation, Examples (2) 1. A representation that the goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses, ingredients, benefits or qualities they do not have”.'

This is for Ontario. There are similar Acts in all provinces. Unfortunately, you must file the claim against the store you purchased the item from because that's who you have a contract with. If you like the store, it could be difficult decision. The store will most likely contact the manufacturer for help. I received my refund from the manufacturer even though my claim was served on the store. If you are looking for the $30 payout that USA customers are receiving, the small claims court method will not work however, if you are looking to return the item and get your money back, it will most likely be settled to your satisfaction.
01-07-2017 01:08 PM