Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scrap HDD's wanted
pieroway Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Scrap HDD's wanted
I'm not into recycling eWaste for my monetary gain, so rest assured I'm not in it for the gold.

I need to get a few spindles from desktop sized hard drives.

From previous experience I know they come in at least two sizes and I'm interested in the larger size.

My question is where can I get a few old scrap HDD's that I can rip apart for parts? I prefer they don't work for two reasons - I don't want to be accused of wanting the information on them (assuming they're not wiped first), and I hope they'll be cheaper or free if they're small capacity old and broken.

I figure I'll need as many HDD's as it takes to get 8 to 10 spindles. I need two for now, but want some spares as one small mistake can ruin them for the purpose I have in mind.

The size I want is 1" on the smaller diameter, and 1 3/8" on the base diameter. See picture attached.

I'm guessing computer repair places probably replace many HDD's a day and many of them are broken and go somewhere for recycling. I also expect for information security reasons they're loath to part with them outside regular recycling channels.

So, perhaps someone on this forum knows where to go to get scrap drives for free, or really cheap as I'm not willing to pay a lot for something I will simply rip apart. At most I'd pay $5 a drive and hopefully not even that.

Thanks,
Al

[Image: spindles.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 09:59 PM by pieroway.)
03-13-2016 09:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jacobcarl Offline

RE: Scrap HDD's wanted
Hello pieroway, i am jacob.. u want 2.5" or 3.5" HDD ?
05-03-2016 05:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pieroway Offline

(05-03-2016 05:24 AM)jacobcarl Wrote:  Hello pieroway, i am jacob.. u want 2.5" or 3.5" HDD ?

Hi Jacob
I'm looking for 3.5 inch.
Thanks. Al
05-03-2016 09:13 AM
pieroway Offline

I'm still interested in laying hands on HDD's so that I can get at the spindles in them. But only if the spindle matches the general dimensions of the left one in the image above. Does anyone have the size I need, or perhaps suggest a source.

Thanks,
Al
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2016 12:53 PM by pieroway.)
07-19-2016 12:20 PM
phil_12345 Offline

Given 1 thanks in 1 posts

Hi Pieroway,

You can go to the 'garbage' depot (not garbage dump). I know one on Keele st, south of Lawrence ave. They have an electronics 'recycle' area which can have old pcs with hard drive. I was there once to drop off some old large electronics stuff.
07-22-2016 12:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Mahloot