Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Free-to-own games
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

RE: Free-to-own games
I was thinking of buying the game myself, since I was a big SimCity fan growing up. My favorites being SimCity on the SNES, SimCity 2000 (DOS) and SimCity 3000 Unlimited. Never played much of SC4, and didn't buy the new SC because I heard it was junky.

I heard mixed reviews about Cities: Skylines. It does look interesting, but some people said it goes a little too far with example: building a condo, a person dies in the unit, you don't respond quick enough and the building goes low value because no one wants to live in a building with a corpse in a unit. Not sure if this is a difficulty setting or not, perhaps Mahloot can answer. But I hope its adjustable. I don't want to deal with things like people dying in skyscrapers and such.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
10-21-2016 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mahloot Online
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 117 thanks in 101 posts

I absolutely love Cities: Skylines. To answer some questions: health management is divided into 2 parts: health services and death services. You just need to have cemeteries or crematoriums to cover the death side of things, clinics and hospitals cover the health side. However, despite how many plots there are in a cemetery (3000), there are only 9 hearses (per cemetery), so if all hearses are busy, it could take time for them to pick up a dead person and result in lowered property value due to the smell of a dead person (though oddly enough a single hearse can pick up multiple dead bodies on a single run, I think 5 or 6). It's not that bad, but does mean a little more planning and thought has to go into your city. There is no way to disable death - it's just a part of the game simulation, along with health care, police, fire stations, schools, etc. Just have enough cemeteries and/or crematoriums to handle the amount of population dying and that's all. Make sure traffic is not so bad that hearses take forever to travel for dead body pickup (same would apply for fire and police, make sure traffic is not so bad that essential services take forever to reach a building). You don't have to tell them to go get the dead person, it just happens automatically, so it's not to the point of micro-management. You just need to have the services available and covering the area you need covered, it will take care of itself like SimCity.

Traffic management is probably one of the most difficult aspects of this game, way more than any SimCity game. However there are so many addons for this game out there, I got one called "Traffic President". This addon goes as far as letting me adjust speed limits, lane restrictions, junction restrictions, vehicle restrictions, etc, which the base game won't let you do. It's allowed me to resolve specific traffic issues at some intersections by adjusting which lanes can turn and where, etc. Heck, I built an airport that's fairly far from the city and found that hardly anyone would take the bus to get there due to the distance being too long over the highway with all the traffic. With the addon "Traffic President", I made a direct 2-lane low traffic road to the airport, and used the addon to restrict the road to bus only, giving buses a road only for them for direct connection to the airport, much improving my bus line.

The game looks great, graphics and sound are both excellent. It's a bit more difficult than SimCity, but that's not a bad thing and I've been enjoying the challenges Cities gives you. It's definitely much better than SimCity (2013). I don't know if I could say it's better than my most favorite, SimCity 4, but I would certainly put it up there. The large community behind this game and all the addons that have been made for it really help make Cities: Skylines an outstanding game, one that I would easily recommend to any SimCity fan that was disappointed with SimCity (2013). For any shortcomings Cities: Skylines has, and there aren't many that I've found so far, addons were available through the Steam Workshop to overcome them and make this game even more enjoyable.

As a long time SimCity fan, I can easily recommend Cities: Skylines as a excellent game with a strong, supportive gaming community around it.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 04:14 PM by Mahloot.)
10-24-2016 04:02 PM
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Given 601 thanks in 463 posts

Far Cry Blood Dragon now free on UPlay (go to UBI30 tab)

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
11-09-2016 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Mahloot , heyyahblah , Mystryman
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Dirt 3 is free on the Humble Store until the end of today!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-...-free-game

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
11-11-2016 10:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Mark
Mahloot Online
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Defiant, am I correct in assuming you name your rigs in your signature after starship classes from Star Trek?

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
2TB WD Green (Storage)
12-02-2016 08:40 PM
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

(12-02-2016 08:40 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  Defiant, am I correct in assuming you name your rigs in your signature after starship classes from Star Trek?

You would be correct Smile

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 10:05 PM by Defiant.)
12-02-2016 10:05 PM
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Assassins Creed 3 now free on Uplay!

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
12-07-2016 12:05 PM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah , Mahloot
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Ubisoft giving away 7 free games this weekend, its the 7 games from the monthly give away all at once!

https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/ubi30

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
12-16-2016 11:15 AM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah , Mahloot
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

Thanks man, was gonna say this. Hit this up and claimed all the games I missed. I'm golden. They all in my library.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
12-16-2016 07:49 PM
Mahloot Online
Forum Member
CC Staffs

(12-16-2016 11:15 AM)Defiant Wrote:  Ubisoft giving away 7 free games this weekend, its the 7 games from the monthly give away all at once!

https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/ubi30

Thanks Defiant! I had missed Splinter Cell so I'm super happy I have all 7 games as well now.

Good play by Ubisoft to do a special like this for those of us who missed some games, I'm impressed!

I'm kinda itching to try the original Splinter Cell again, back in the day my GPU wasn't terribly powerful enough to handle a lot of the shading effects use in that game at the time so it ran poorly, and I was still in high school so I didn't have money back then to buy my own PC components.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 10:33 PM by Mahloot.)
12-16-2016 10:31 PM