Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows 10 key missing
ash Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Windows 10 key missing
Hi,

I was wondering if this is normal with premade gaming desktops purchased from Canada Computers?

I bought:

Aeon 2185 Gaming Desktop Intel Core i5-4460 3.20GHz Quad-core Processor, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 960 2GB Graphics, DVD-RW, GigaLAN, USB 3.0, HD Audio, Windows 10 64-Bit

Got it from the downtown Toronto Canada Computers location. I got home and set it up. It asked me for the product ID. I opened the Windows 10 package and it was opened because the seal was ripped. The sticker where the key should be was also missing.

I can't activate Windows 10 because the key apparently is in use. However, there was a key that was used since it's giving me a "current product key" digits. Please see image:

http://i.imgur.com/K2W9kZo.jpg

I am going to call the location tomorrow. However, will I have to take back the whole PC? Sad

Did this happen to anyone else?
11-10-2015 11:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 120 thanks in 104 posts

RE: Windows 10 key missing
As per Microsoft rules for OEM version of Windows, the COA needs to be attached to the PC when built. Please look on the sides, back or bottom of your PC for the COA. The 25 character key will be on it.

EDIT: I didn't correctly look at the error message you have. It is likely that the assembly department is using a disk image of Windows 10 to speed up assembly process (imaging a disk takes about 10 minutes, installing Windows from scratch takes about an hour).

For the purpose of the disk image function, a temporary key was likely used, resulting in the error you are seeing. Once you enter the actual key that was assigned to this machine, which you should be able to find on the COA sticker attached somewhere to the PC (check sides, behind and bottom), Windows should properly activate.

If the problem is still not resolved, please contact or visit the CC location where you picked up this PC for support.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 05:32 PM by Mahloot.)
11-11-2015 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply