Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Hard Drive] Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD 450MB/s
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

RE: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD 450MB/s
Yes I didn't know there was an update to Magician until I Googled benchmark SSD's for the Kingston when I was looking for software then I noticed the update to the program and the update to the firmware on the SSD 840EVO's. But same here Magician failed to report an update so I updated manually as well as the firmware.

Right now Samsung is doing killer in SSD's in terms of results & performance, right along side is the Crucial that Defiant mentioned (thanks) they are par and par but only the Crucial BX100 model that CC sells and the MX550. The 500's are not so hot. This is really good to know. The Sandisk Ultra II is on par with 840EVO's give or take which is also good to know in terms of performance.

Update: Kingston V300 is an entry level SSD, hence I believe the price should constantly be lower. Say $100 for the 240GB model, $55 for the 120GB, etc. I'm hearing some mixed reviews now about the full speed achievements on SATA III 6Gb/s ports. The kicker is ATTO Benchmark only benches the way the Kingston SSD can handle speeds with compressed files (mp3, rar, etc) hence giving it the 450/450 MB/s rating or 270/280 MB/s for me (max SATA II 3Gb/s port).

However, the AS SSD Benchmark preforms the tests on how the SSD accesses uncompressed files (how Windows boots up and programs, uncompressed file speeds, etc) so you can see that the real time speed is only 256/191 MB/s (read/write) for me. The users with SATA III 6Gb/s ports are saying they have yet to see their Kingston V300 surpass 290/290 MB/s on the AS SSD Benchmark software which is showing an overall very poor performance by the Kingston V300 and their 450/450 MB/s claims. It is no where near that marker. Reason being is that they have downgraded to a cheaper asynchronous NAND made from an unknown source in Taiwan then their TOSHIBA branded NANDs which offered the full speeds. So the V300's made before April 2014 with 505 firmware are actually better then the ones being sold now with the 583 firmware. So Kingston is kinda cheaping out the consumer with its claims.

So to remind everyone that this is an entry level SSD and according to some frustrated users if you don't care about surpassing 300MB/s on read/write speeds then this drive is for you, (if you get a good deal on it) otherwise go for another brand like SAMSUNG, CRUCIAL, INTEL? etc. And finally the other brands are offering a better warranty 5 years and 10 years for Sandisk Extreme Pro, wow.

For that I am dropping another 2 points on the Kingston.

-1 for only 3 year warranty.
-1 for lower end NAND that doesn't achieve claimed speeds.

6/10
Kingston SSDNow V300

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 02:31 PM by heyyahblah.)
05-06-2015 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 119 thanks in 103 posts

(05-06-2015 12:26 PM)Mahloot Wrote:  Anyone noticed the new "Advanced" tab under Performance Optimization in Magician 4.6? I have to leave for work now but I will play around with this when I get home tonight.
So I played around with this feature. It's very non-descriptive in the software, I had to do some research online. The issue with the 840 EVO TLC flash is that old data that is never read, after a year you have a huge drop in performance if you try to read that particular data.

The firmware already fixes this issue, the drive will take care of it on-the-fly so there is not necessarily a need to run the advanced performance optimization. However, while it's doing it on-the-fly, even though performance is GREATLY increased, it still won't be at PEAK unless this advanced performance optimization is done.

In the new "Advanced" tab if you run the performance optimization there, it simply forces the drive to do it all immediately instead of when the data is accessed. It took about 25 minutes. I did not see a performance increase in the bootup time of my system (as expected, because the issue affected only old data that is never read, and my OS boot files are read every day when I boot up my computer).

So essentially it just serves as a reconditioning to get the drive back up to standard performance. The way I see it and understand it, it seems that you only have to do the performance optimization once, and the firmware will take care of it on-the-fly from here on out, but there is nothing preventing you from manually triggering it at will in the Magician software.

My thoughts, views, and opinions do not reflect that of Canada Computers and are solely my own.

My rig:
Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Desktop (Games)
2TB WD Green (Storage)
05-07-2015 05:10 PM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

Yea they probably did that to save themselves a good reputation with consumers so they wouldn't drop Samsung as an SSD supplier. Since a lot of users got on the 840EVO it makes sense to fix the performance issues which I'm glad they did with the firmware and software updates. I guess all the 'nerds' will be happy with that, lolz Smile

I wonder how the 850EVO's are doing out there? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
05-07-2015 08:59 PM
 Thanks given by: devious1
badrobot Offline

Given 9 thanks in 5 posts

Have you guys tried the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD? I got the 256GB one.
It's blazing fast!

Here's the performance test using Magician,
https://goo.gl/photos/6fZr59V639wuycTr8

[Image: sig04.gif?psid=1]
08-11-2015 02:04 PM