Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[-Others-] Western Digital My Cloud EX4
Jello Offline

Given 3 thanks in 2 posts

Exclamation Western Digital My Cloud EX4
I picked up the WD EX4 a few weeks ago along with 4 WD 4TB Red hard drives. Installing the drives took less than 5 minutes, as you just open the cover, slide the hard drive in and close the cover. Once booted up on my gigabit network, I was able to login after downloading setup software for my windows 7 machine. First thing I noticed was there were firmware updates available so I updated. Next up was to setup raid mode. Not being familiar with the different types, I first tried raid 10. This took about 5 minutes and was a one click operation. I was left with about 8 TB. Next was to check transfer speed. The maximum I could get was about 30 MB per second which I thought was slow, so I changed the raid mode to 5. To do this it has to format them again so you would lose any data. This time I ended up with 11.9 TB. Again I checked transfer speed and no change. During a transfer the CPU in the EX4 is close to 100% so I doubt that firmware updates will speed this up. Bummer. This was replacing a Windows Home Server 2011 and with that I was getting around 70 MB per second. I checked the WD forums and sure enough everyone else was complaining about transfer speed. Huh

I had a TB of movies to transfer over so I connected a external Nexstar usb drive to the EX4. Using the WD My Cloud software I started what should be an easy task. NOPE. Transfers would quit after about 5-20 minutes. After a day and a half of frustration, I had everything copied over. I checked all of the files and they all seemed to be okay. I plugged in a 64 GIG Corsair flash drive into the EX4 to copy a movie for my mom. I tried 3 times and each time it said the file was copied, but it was corrupted. It would not play. Copying over the network was the only option that worked. Again I checked the WD forums and others have the same problem. I created a case file with WD, but they were unable to help. Clearly the USB ports have a problem. I also use a WD TV Live Hub and it works excellent with the EX4 to play my movies.

There are a handful of apps that you can install so I tried phpBB. It is forum software much like this forum. It only took me about 15 minutes and I was up and running.

You can setup a startup/shutdown schedule which I tried. 50% of the time it refuses to shut down. Not a big deal for me as you can also start/stop it with the windows software.

There are other options for setting up cloud access, network backups etc but I haven't tried them yet.

Overall I would rate this purchase 4/10 because of the slow network speed and problematic USB ports. But it does have potential with firmware upgrades.
06-30-2014 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badrobot Offline

Given 9 thanks in 5 posts

RE: Western Digital My Cloud EX4
For NAS/Cloud equipment, it should only be either QNAP or Synology.

I got the QNAP TS-220 with only 2 bays because it has 2 SATA ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports where I can attached up to 4 more hard drives. I have 2 external hard drives attached which can also be accessed via web. Network speed is between 70 and 110MBps. I had no issues whatsoever copying/transferring files or setting up cloud for web access. 15/10 because of the user friendly interface.

[Image: IMAG3692+%255B1600x1200%255D.jpg]

Here's the web interface:

[Image: Screenshot+%252851%2529.png]

[Image: sig04.gif?psid=1]
07-08-2014 01:10 PM
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Given 601 thanks in 463 posts

RMA the damn thing, as badrobot said you should stick to QNAP or Synology. WD makes excellent drives but they can't make a proper NAS.

Alternative brands such as Asustor or Thecus are also not bad for the price, but may lack some features.

- QNAP 269L and 569L owner.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
07-08-2014 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jello Offline

(07-08-2014 01:56 PM)Defiant Wrote:  RMA the damn thing, as badrobot said you should stick to QNAP or Synology.

I tried but WD only offered to replace it.
07-09-2014 05:36 AM
Jamie M Offline

Given 1 thanks in 1 posts

Hello Jello,

If you email your invoice number into feedback AT canadacomputers.com I will see if there is anything we can do for you to help you out with this situation.

Thanks

Jamie
07-09-2014 09:21 AM
Jello Offline

(07-08-2014 01:10 PM)badrobot Wrote:  For NAS/Cloud equipment, it should only be either QNAP or Synology.

Thanks I just picked up the QNAP 469L. File transfer speeds are about 100 MBps. It only took about 24 hours to sync the raid array, (WTF?) but everything works as it should.

Not sure what to do with the WD EX4. It is a shame WD doesn't support their products.
07-13-2014 04:38 AM
Bungwirez Offline

Given 85 thanks in 68 posts

HAZA!!

[Image: BungzCCsig.png]
07-13-2014 08:51 AM
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Given 601 thanks in 463 posts

Good purchase, the 469L is a solid NAS.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
07-14-2014 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark Offline
Posts Leader

Given 177 thanks in 144 posts

I actually just finished playing with a TS469pro today. That interface is wonderful, best NAS I've used in like 3 years since the Thecus ones came out. 10/10

I even forget you can see sigs.

heh.
07-14-2014 02:55 PM
badrobot Offline

Given 9 thanks in 5 posts

(07-13-2014 04:38 AM)Jello Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 01:10 PM)badrobot Wrote:  For NAS/Cloud equipment, it should only be either QNAP or Synology.

Thanks I just picked up the QNAP 469L. File transfer speeds are about 100 MBps. It only took about 24 hours to sync the raid array, (WTF?) but everything works as it should.

Not sure what to do with the WD EX4. It is a shame WD doesn't support their products.

Great! Have fun!

[Image: sig04.gif?psid=1]
07-20-2014 02:56 PM