Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Intel Sandy Bridge Chipset Design Issue
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 508 thanks in 390 posts

RE: Intel Sandy Bridge Chipset Design Issue
(01-31-2011 05:25 PM)Peter M Dodge Wrote:  Well, not always. But more often than not. Tongue

Name the last entire chipset to have a major recall like this. I certainly can't think of one within a reasonable amount of time.

[Image: Signature_2014_2_zps467ff644.png]
01-31-2011 05:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Given 138 thanks in 127 posts

Grantsdale is the one that comes to mind.

[Image: currentbuild.png]
01-31-2011 05:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grnfinger Offline
Posting Freak

Given 33 thanks in 31 posts

Quote from Intel
"The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue. The only systems sold to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core based systems. Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution. For further information consumers should contact Intel at http://www.intel.com on the support page or contact their OEM manufacturer."

So take it all with a grain of salt, all the packet kiddies fanning the socket burn issue on P55 without proper information and what happened with that??

Its a chipset issue that "could degrade over time" I wont have Sandy Bridge for more than a year so big deal. If you do have a "problem board" call your board manufacturer and grab your FREE replacement it will be that simple. As for canada computers, why should they have to do anything, there a re-seller why should they be held accountable for anything?

(01-31-2011 05:32 PM)Peter M Dodge Wrote:  Grantsdale is the one that comes to mind.

lol the 915 chipset forgot about that, it was a interesting platform
where do you work anyways, you seem to be sponge of knowledge Smile

[Image: under_construction2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 06:37 PM by Grnfinger.)
01-31-2011 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Michaels. I know, not where I thought I'd be working either, with the tech knowledge I have, but everywheres in Ottawa these days wants experience and apparently couldn't care about education.

Im not saying CC should be held accountable, but it never hurts the company to have an associate say, "Here are the steps that you have to take to resolve the issue"

[edit]: In the interests of full disclosure, I also run a system builder company of my own on the side. But saying I work for myself would be kind of a smartass response. The work isnt steady enough to do it by itself with the economy as is, though, its very "feast or famine" ish at the moment.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 12:40 AM by Peter M Dodge.)
01-31-2011 06:39 PM
Mark Offline
Posts Leader

Given 133 thanks in 107 posts

I'll pretend i didn't make two of these. >_>

I even forget you can see sigs.

heh.
01-31-2011 11:07 PM
chriskwarren Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Canada Computers should look to other major retailers who compete with them. There are threads out there with folks comparing the service they get. The service I get at CC has always been good, but this might be bad press for them once word gets out.
01-31-2011 11:47 PM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Wait, what? How would intel chipset failure be bad press for CC? It's not like CC has any form of control over how Intel fabricates their chips nor do they own enough of the retail market to have any leverage to affect Intel decision-making. I can think of other things which have been an issue for CC service-wise, but this is not one of them.

01-31-2011 11:50 PM
chriskwarren Offline

(01-31-2011 11:50 PM)Peter M Dodge Wrote:  Wait, what? How would intel chipset failure be bad press for CC? It's not like CC has any form of control over how Intel fabricates their chips nor do they own enough of the retail market to have any leverage to affect Intel decision-making. I can think of other things which have been an issue for CC service-wise, but this is not one of them.

Sorry if I was not clear Smile

Obviously CC is not to blame for Intel's issues.

But other retailers are extending their warranties, offering 'points', and offering assistance to those who bought Sandy Bridge systems and motherboards.
01-31-2011 11:56 PM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

While those things may alleviate customer concern, they seem like delaying the problem to me. In my retail experience, this only comes back to bite you in the arse in a way - customers get freebies when this happens, to make them happy, then they keep using the defective product - and then when it does break, they want freebies all over again because it broke.

The responsible thing to do would be to guide the customer through the process of getting a new board if they so wish.

02-01-2011 12:00 AM
superkidsid Offline

How do they conclude that there was this flaw? I guess someone must have been using their ports a whole lot.
02-01-2011 12:03 AM