Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Headset] Sennheiser PC 320
Lebungz Offline
Posts Leader

Given 413 thanks in 344 posts

Sennheiser PC 320
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_i..._id=057650

I've been using this headset for the last month or so. Its to replace the Corsair Vengence 2000 that I'm too lazy to RMA. This is my first Sennheiser, and prolly my 10th "gaming" headset in the last 4 years. Why so many headsets Bungz? Well, its cause I'm a sucker for giving Lil Bungz free reign with the PC. So accordingly, I've decided that my opinion of what makes a good PC headset is mainly its durablility, particularly when punished by the daily use of the boy. The life expectancy of a headset in my home has ranged between 5 minutes and 6 months - the Corsair 2000 stood up well enough after I refurbished it with copius amounts of duct tape.

[Image: 14294.jpg]

Aesthetically the PC320's are fairly sleek, black soft rubber exterior headband that extends very well between fitting my big bean and that of Lil Bungz. And after a little over a month of being slammed on the desk, or dropped on the floor, there seems to be no outward physical damage to the headset itself, or any noticeable changes to the audio quality. This to me suggests happily, that the PC320 is a stand up build design.

This headset is only 244grams making it very light and, as expected, fairly comfortable for long periods of use. The earpieces are relatively large, padded with foam and soft cloth. Importantly, Lil Bungz has been unable to remove the earpeices, as he did within the first few seconds of me handing him the iCan OA-G20 Wireless. I do find that periodically, I need to make minor adjustments to the postion on my ears because the drivers give a little pinch, but not horribly.

Like all Gaming headsets, there is a well positioned and rotatable microphone - up position is mute. I'm told by my gaming buddies that I sound crystal clear in vent. The PC320 bio says this mic is "noise cancelling." I guess I would interpret this to mean it reduces the amount of background noise that is transmitted? Whatever...in my condo this is a joke. The TV blares constantly, and I keep a 10" desk fan blowing up my skirt... both are noticeably distracting to the ladies in Vent. But like I say, in the midst of normal late nite quiet room gaming this mic functions perfectly well. It is also worth mentioning that the rotational axis point is strong and the mic will stay fixed in any position.

Owing to his being easily distracted, Lil Bungz often will run away from the PC with the headset still on causing a nice chained dog snap and release, effectively straining the cable. On two pairs of Corsair 1500's this was the main cause of destruction, as the cables were torn away from the headcups just enough to garble the audio. On the PC320's this doesn't seem to be much of an issue (yet...) since the cable is 3m long and at the insertion point of the earcup there is a nice rubber grommet holding it securely in place.

Another happy feature on the PC320 is the on ear volume controller. So many other manufactures have put the volume on the cable, which opens up another potential point of breakage. While other gaming headsets have at least some style of volume control built into the earcup, the PC320 is one of my favorites. Sennheiser have made the knob the entire size of the external cup. The only thing I might add to this design would be a volume mute button, since turning the knob all the way to zero really only makes the audio out very quiet.

How do these bad girls sound? Well. I'm no audiophile, so if you're looking for me to analyze ohms and decibles, forget it. They sound alright to me.

Having come from the USB driven Corsairs, which are ridiculously loud, the PC320's were initially too quiet for my liking. I had to make multiple settings adjustments in Games, Ventrilo, VLC, and of course Win7 to bring the volume levels to a suitable state. But that was it. I watch movies, these sound great, perhaps not the craziest surround quality, but the PC320 is not the most extreme of the highend headsets. Also too, keep in mind that I'm using the onboard audio of my ROG Z68, so there is probably a lot of room to increase the audio potential of this headset, by adding say an Essence STX or some other dedicated audio amplifier.

Finally, there's the price. Regular is $130, and unfortunately the sale price of $69.99 that I paid, ended yesterday. Would I still pay 130? Hell no. For that much there are many other options, like the Steelseries 7H USB or theASUS Vulcan Pro or even Sennheisers other gaming set the PC330. But at 70bucks I have to think that these are among some of the better gaming headphones that I've used. And as long as the PC320's keep standing up to Lil Bungz bashing them about, I'll be a happy gamer.

C70 MODS
932-X MODS
TAKE MY MONEY RIMMERS!
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 12:16 AM by Lebungz.)
08-30-2013 11:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 327 thanks in 252 posts

RE: Sennheiser PC 320
Made in Deutschland?

I'm sold

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
08-31-2013 03:04 AM
Mystryman Offline
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTRY

Given 267 thanks in 236 posts

Glad you found a headset that can finally stand up to the lil one.

ALL HAIL DISTWROUGHT!
BASED DISTWROUGHT
PRAISE, DISTWROUGHT SUPREME LEADER

#DISTWROUGHTLYFE
08-31-2013 01:12 PM
badrobot Offline

Given 9 thanks in 5 posts

great buy!

Looks very solid.

[Image: sig04.gif?psid=1]
08-31-2013 04:52 PM
Lebungz Offline
Posts Leader

Given 413 thanks in 344 posts

(08-31-2013 01:12 PM)Mystryman Wrote:  Glad you found a headset that can finally stand up to the lil one.

two month honeymoon is over.

good news: this headset is still in one peice, despite it being drop on the floor 2 or 3 times a day. Rolleyes

On sale now for $69.99 - although limited stock

C70 MODS
932-X MODS
TAKE MY MONEY RIMMERS!
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 01:27 AM by Lebungz.)
11-01-2013 01:25 AM
Smoke Offline

Given 31 thanks in 26 posts

Hard to go wrong with an audiophile brand.

My headset before this steelseries was sennheisers and I loved them. at 50$ they had WAY better sound quality than these steel series.
11-01-2013 12:04 PM
Bungwirez Offline

Given 85 thanks in 68 posts

[Image: Broken_PC320.jpg]

Finally broken by the boy. Almost a year to the day I bought these wonderful cans.
Wow!

Now ... anyone got suggestions on something else??

[Image: BungzCCsig.png]
09-12-2014 09:11 AM
Distwrought Offline
CC Moderators

Given 72 thanks in 57 posts

These are my own personal opinions and do not reflect those of the company or my fellow employees
09-12-2014 11:06 AM
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 603 thanks in 465 posts

(09-12-2014 11:06 AM)Distwrought Wrote:  *cough*

This, mine is still working great with no problems.

My review:
http://forums.canadacomputers.com/showth...p?tid=3341

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
09-12-2014 11:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bungwirez Offline

Given 85 thanks in 68 posts

frig. thanks for reminding me. I've got two of those in my closet waiting RMA.... stupid me... Tongue

but the same PC320 is heavily discounted right now, and loads in stock everywhere.

[Image: BungzCCsig.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 01:45 PM by Bungwirez.)
09-12-2014 12:54 PM