Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Canada Computer's Return Policy
fourthofjuly Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Canada Computer's Return Policy
Hello,

I am an avid Canada Computer shopper since late last year. I have bought a lot of computer accessories and periherals and even my second PC from this store recently. On some occassions, some of the things I bought don't really work for me or having issues with my other machines.

I am also a loyal Bestbuy and Futureshop shopper. As much as possible, if I want to invest something that costs more than $100, I would go and buy them from either Bestbuy or Futureshop even if prices are cheaper at Canada Computers. But if Bestbuy and Futureshop don't have what I want in stock, I would go to Canada Computers. Why? Because if I am not happy with anything I purchased, even without a defect, I can get my money back in full refund on the same moment I went back to the store for a return or refund. But with Canada Computers, they are preventing customers to make refunds and returns in 2 obvious ways... either you wait for 24hours until they finished testing a product that you claim you are not happy with or pay a 5% re-stocking fee.

The thing is, before the customers go back to the store for a return, they are already unhappy with a crappy product they got. And when Canada Computer employees start talking about waiting time and re-stocking fee for returns, it makes customers 10X more unhappy considering that they've wasted time going back to the store and spent money on gas. The 5% restocking fee is an insult to an injury.

Stores like Ikea, Bestbuy, etc. have a very good concept about making customer happy and would want customers to come back to the store. That is by making them happier when they get their hard earned money back in full amount. DON'T MAKE UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS WAIT AND PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT RUINED THEIR DAY ALREADY. At Starbucks, if you drop your coffee outside due to your own misdoing, they will happily replace it for you. Now, that is the way to make a loyal and happy customer.

Bottom line, Canada Computers, please review your Return Policy and make us customers proud of you and recommend you to other shoppers.

Cheers!
06-26-2013 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Distwrought Offline
CC Moderators

Given 72 thanks in 57 posts

RE: Canada Computer's Return Policy
I understand that people are upset at our return policy, let me try to put some things to rest.

The re-stocking fee is to avoid rentals
ex: Someone buys a hard drive enclosure to remove data off of an old drive, they use it once and never again so they return it. We now have to sell that same item as a Used item (or Open Box) 10% off

It's obviously a tougher pill to swallow with say a $1000 laptop, but same deal, we also have to sell it 10% open box (used) if it is returned.

Some of the bigger stores (Future Shop/Best Buy etc) set higher profit margins to try and offset those problems, whereas we try and balance it out.

These are my own personal opinions and do not reflect those of the company or my fellow employees
06-26-2013 12:21 PM
Mystryman Offline
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTRY

Given 267 thanks in 236 posts

The Fenian has made some excellent responses to this:

(12-01-2011 12:47 PM)The Fenian Wrote:  Zellers electronics at least until recently would only exchange for the same if opened. Best Buy? Sure go buy that video card and prepay for the restocking fee. 'Cause that's what the usual price difference comes to. Yeah they have sales every once in a while, but we still try to sell things consistently at the lowest possible price.

(11-30-2011 06:05 PM)The Fenian Wrote:  Restocking fees apply to any items that are opened but not defective. One of the reasons is to recoup some of the loss on selling that product at an open box discount. Because when push comes to shove, no one will pay full price for something that's been opened (regardless whether it's been used or not).

In reality 5% restocking fee isn't that much unless it was a laptop or high-end video card etc. in which case we would hope the customer has done their homework on the product and not just buying it to try it out.

We are not the only computer retailer to do so, N**X's site states:
"Items eligible for return are subject to a 15% restocking fee"
and N**Egg's says for their Standard Return Policy:
"Restocking Fee: Yes"

Now this is always at the discretion of the Service Dept doing the return, and in some cases depending on the product/condition/etc. they may choose to not charge a restocking fee. But if they do charge the fee, it does not mean we're trying to sc*ew you (as the above comment would have you think), it just means we need to sell this opened/slightly used/unsealed product at a discount for the next customer.

In answer to the original question, any item purchased at any Canada Computers (Final Sale items and consumables excluded) can be returned at any CC location, as long as all the package/accessories and receipt are provided. If any of these things are missing, it's CC's right to refuse the return.

Lately we're seeing a lot of returns without receipts, and we are having to deny the return. We need to have the receipt for a number of reasons, mainly the whole "Proof of Purchase" thing among others. A great deal of our competitors sell the exact same product, it's not like trying to return a Mastercraft tool (Canadian Tire) to a Home Hardware store. These are very reasonable guidlines that CC and it's competitors use.

ALL HAIL DISTWROUGHT!
BASED DISTWROUGHT
PRAISE, DISTWROUGHT SUPREME LEADER

#DISTWROUGHTLYFE
06-26-2013 12:28 PM
 Thanks given by: Distwrought
fourthofjuly Offline

The bottom line here is "Customer Satisfaction". How would someone know that if a product is okay if they don't use it???? Canada Computers has the worst case of wrong product info on website. And they post the wrong picture, too. There's is a note, yeah, but why bother posting a picture if it's not the actual photo of the product?????

Some of Canada Computers's prices are even higher than Bestbuy or Staples and fool you with a red tag. One example is this:

Canada Computers:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_i..._id=028356

Staples:
http://www.staples.ca/en/TP-LINK-Gigabit...CA_1_20001

This is an example of the same product but Canada Computers posted a WRONG OS COMPATIBILTY, HIGHER PRICE WITH DECEIVING RED TAG PRICING AND WRONG PHOTO!!

Sometimes I don't mind buying at higher price as long as it is exactly what I was looking for and I don't have to go back and deal with some ill-mannered CC employees.

If you want to be competitive with your pricing against bigger retailers, so be competitive without sacrificing customer satisfaction. Don't hide your competitive pricing behind despicable policies. Your company has a big potential. You are just losing a lot of customers with your policies.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 01:06 PM by fourthofjuly.)
06-26-2013 01:03 PM
Distwrought Offline
CC Moderators

If you purchase that item online, you save $5.34 off of the listed price

Edit: wrong numbers

These are my own personal opinions and do not reflect those of the company or my fellow employees
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 01:16 PM by Distwrought.)
06-26-2013 01:13 PM
fourthofjuly Offline

(06-26-2013 01:13 PM)Distwrought Wrote:  If you purchase that item online, you save $5.34 off of the listed price

You are missing the point.
(06-26-2013 01:13 PM)Distwrought Wrote:  If you purchase that item online, you save $5.34 off of the listed price

You are missing the point.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 01:22 PM by fourthofjuly.)
06-26-2013 01:22 PM
Distwrought Offline
CC Moderators

I'm not missing the point, but when you're claiming we're deceiving people with our prices then I have to step in.

Yes, we're not always the best priced company out there on certain products, but to imply we're lying to people to make a couple of dollars is ludicrous.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 01:38 PM by Distwrought.)
06-26-2013 01:38 PM
fourthofjuly Offline

(06-26-2013 01:38 PM)Distwrought Wrote:  I'm not missing the point, but when you're claiming we're deceiving people with our prices then I have to step in.

Yes, we're not always the best priced company out there on certain products, but to imply we're lying to people to make a couple of dollars is ludicrous.

If you buy we buy it online, we have to pay for shipping. It will be the same price at the end of the day... I might as well pick it up myself from the store and get my project done. It's a form of deception. Why just not say $17.99 and FREE Shipping!

You just addressed half of the issue... how about the specs? people rely so much on description.

(06-26-2013 01:38 PM)Distwrought Wrote:  I'm not missing the point, but when you're claiming we're deceiving people with our prices then I have to step in.

If you buy we buy it online, we have to pay for shipping. It will be the same price at the end of the day... I might as well pick it up myself from the store and get my project done. It's a form of deception. Why just not say $17.99 and FREE Shipping!

You just addressed half of the issue... how about the specs? people rely so much on description.

Just last month I bought a mixer from CC. The box doesn't have any form of a seal (usually they have a circular tape). The plastic is not also taped. So, nothing is really sealed. Then I brought it home. Plugged it in my Win 7 PC and I got a blue screen. So, I put it back inside the box, tied up all the wires and closed it the very same way I got it without any seals or tape broken. I brought it back to the store.. guess what? I spent time and gas going back and was ripped off with re-stocking fee for something I had in less than 24hrs and brought back to store in the very same condition. I was a complete loser that day.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 02:23 PM by fourthofjuly.)
06-26-2013 02:12 PM
Smoke Offline

Given 31 thanks in 26 posts

Their return policy is exactly why I RARELY buy things from them. I'd rather order from NC IX and pricematch to CC.

The other issue I have with them is not only are most of the staff untrained, misinformed or completely uninformed. Most of the time I walk in and ask for something, they know the name, brand and basic info but if I ask about anything outside of those they're lost.

Biggest issue however is service. I was in the Merivale location looking for something and I asked a guy just aimlessly walking around and he said "oh you'll need to wait for this guy behind the counter to look that up for you.." Heres an idea... Use your eyes since they're busy and look for it for me. Atleast TRY. I've worked in retail before(almost 8 years off and on) and I would never treat a customer like that.

Its more than just return policy keeping Canada Computers from growing.

Study after study shows that people will pay more, and drive farther for good service.

FYI: If something doesnt work as advertised you're not obligated to pay a restocking fee according to canadian law.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 10:48 AM by Smoke.)
06-27-2013 10:42 AM
fourthofjuly Offline

I agree Smoke. CC employees have a world of their own inside the store. I was once in Mississuage store and I can't find someone to ask on the floor. So I went to one of the counters and saw a manager on the phone. I was standing close to him trying to show him that I need help but he didn't give me a glance or gestured to imply that he noticed me and he wants to finish up his phone conversation before dealing with my problem. So I waited until he finished and as soon as I hung up the phone, he turned his back and walked away. Maybe he thought I just wanted to stand there and waste my time.

And I also had that experience when I went to a counter to ask a CC employee about something, and guess what he told me? "Everyone is busy helping out there so you have to wait till someone is available. I am not a floor person!"... WHat????!!! So I guess his job is just to tell everyone else to wait.

I can tolerate those CC staffs... but I just can't really suck their return policy in. That is the only thing that sends their customer away.
06-27-2013 11:50 AM