Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nexus 7: Still the King of the 7 inch tablets
PCAS Offline

Given 8 thanks in 3 posts

Nexus 7: Still the King of the 7 inch tablets
[Image: 1209228-nexus7newsletter_02.jpg]

With recent buzz and high demand for both the LG Nexus 4 smart phone and the Samsung Nexus 10 tablet there is no doubt that Google’s flagship android line-up is an innovative series that is drawing attention.

After a hot debut over 6 months ago the Nexus 7 still has the competition playing catch up. For overall performance to price comparison there are very few products out there that can keep up with this 7-inch powerhouse.

Appearance:

Holding the Nexus 7 it becomes apparent the design team at Asus were hard at work trying to make this budget friendly tablet feel solid. It feels like a balanced 12oz slab of well engineered brilliance.
The back panel is wrapped in a rubberized material that provides a solid texture while making it easier to hold. Also located on the back panel right below the embossed Nexus logo is the tablet’s single speaker. Your standard volume rocker and power button are found neatly along the right edge. The micro usb and headphone jack are intelligently placed at the bottom of the device to prevent cables from blocking your view in portrait mode. The pin-hole microphone is cleverly hidden along the top edge of the device. Finally, on the front face of the Nexus you can find the 1.2 megapixel camera.

Hardware:

The 7” 1280x800 HD display offers 216 pixels per inch resulting in a decadently rich viewing experience. The IPS screen allows for great viewing angles for those moments when your tablet is being used out of your hands. Aware that you would be using this device on the go the Asus/Google team decided to use scratch-resistant Corning glass to make this tab a little bit tougher.
Looking at the performance specs of this 7 inch power house is where this Nexus device really stands out. Offering Nvidia’s 1.3GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor and 1GB of ram the Nexus 7 can keep up with today’s most demanding Android games and HD videos.
As far as internal storage options are concerned the Nexus 7 comes in two flavours. 16GB and 32GB models are currently available but just in case you were concerned about expandable memory Google has you covered with cloud storage through Google Play. Those of you with simply enormous media collections may also want to consider online storage through DropBox or even a Network hard drive.

Software:

The Nexus 7 ships with a stock “Vanilla” version of Android 4.1 (Jellybean) which delivers a seamless user experience. Although Google invites users to experiment with custom software on their Nexus line up the stock version of this software will appeal to most. Voice typing for quick communications, Android beam for NFC file transferring and face unlock all add unique elements to this Nexus experience.
Designed around media consumption and gaming, Google Play access is central the Nexus 7’s user interface. Media suggestions and quick links to your content make enjoying this tablet easy for even the most inexperienced user.

Summary:

This review has barely scratched the surfaced. There is no arguing that for price, performance and actual user experience the Nexus 7 does not let down. You will be hard pressed to find a tablet that matches up to Google’s current flagship tablet. If you’re in the market for a portable powerhouse this tablet is definitely worth every penny.

Pros:
Brilliant HD display (1280x800)
Battery Life (4325MAH, Up to 8 hours of active use)
Perfect portable size for gaming and media
Competitive price for overall performance

Cons:
Expanded storage reliant on network connection (Cloud storage is a great suggestion but the 32gb model is a must have for most users)

Check out the Nexus 7 here
03-11-2013 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Lebungz , Mystryman , Admin , Wiz Khalifa , Mahloot
Eddyall1 Offline
Posts Leader

Given 96 thanks in 94 posts

RE: Nexus 7: Still the King of the 7 inch tablets
(03-11-2013 05:08 PM)PCAS Wrote:  Cons:
Limited Storage Space (Although cloud and network storage are viable options)

*Design for widely and freely available Internet.

Very good tablet, but don't really rely on storage for movie/music/book, it's design to be use while connect on the internet. (Take the 32GB if you want to store movie(s))

Only problem I have is that it won't work as a MTP device on my computer because the driver won't install for some obscure reason. (Windows 7)

Intel i5-2500k @4.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Asus GTX570 @850/1700/4000MHz 1001mV
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb @1600MHz
Corsair 500R
Corsair AX850
EVGA CPU Cooler
03-11-2013 07:35 PM
EdT Offline

Given 8 thanks in 8 posts

Asus taking the dumb Apple route with fixed storage so they can rip people off to buy the more expensive model with larger ROM !
Any inexpensive Ainol 7 tablet would be better off then the Nexus 7 at half the cost !
03-16-2013 01:48 PM
Mystryman Offline
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTRY

Given 267 thanks in 236 posts

(03-16-2013 01:48 PM)EdT Wrote:  Asus taking the dumb Apple route with fixed storage so they can rip people off to buy the more expensive model with larger ROM !
Any inexpensive Ainol 7 tablet would be better off then the Nexus 7 at half the cost !

No.

This is Google's fault, not Asus.

ALL HAIL DISTWROUGHT!
BASED DISTWROUGHT
PRAISE, DISTWROUGHT SUPREME LEADER

#DISTWROUGHTLYFE
03-16-2013 05:34 PM
 Thanks given by: PCAS
Mahloot Offline
Forum Member
CC Staffs

Given 120 thanks in 104 posts

(03-16-2013 05:34 PM)Mystryman Wrote:  No.

This is Google's fault, not Asus.

That is correct. Google designed the tablet, Asus only builds it. Further, all Nexus devices lack the SD slot, including the LG Nexus 4 and the Samsung Nexus 10.

Here is a quote from a article that was posted on Tom's Hardware about Nexus devices having no SD slot. The information was provided by Google's director of user services on Android, Matias Duarte:

"Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it's just confusing for users," he said. "If you're saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt every time? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It's just too complicated."

Instead of implementing SD card support, Nexus devices offers a fixed amount of space that "apps just seamlessly… use", with users not having to "worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing".

Source link

While for techies this may be a con, I can say it's definitely a pro for non-techies. Several times I have had to help a relative get pictures off her phone, but only the SD card is accessible when the phone is connected by USB cable to the computer, and she can never remember how to move the pictures from the internal memory to the SD card or how to do it properly, so the phone is filled with duplicates on both the internal memory and the SD card, etc etc etc...

Edit: Not HTC Nexus 4 but LG Nexus 4 Tongue
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 12:28 AM by Mahloot.)
03-16-2013 11:53 PM
 Thanks given by: PCAS
Baconbits Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

(03-11-2013 07:35 PM)Eddyall1 Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 05:08 PM)PCAS Wrote:  Cons:
Limited Storage Space (Although cloud and network storage are viable options)

*Design for widely and freely available Internet.

Very good tablet, but don't really rely on storage for movie/music/book, it's design to be use while connect on the internet. (Take the 32GB if you want to store movie(s))

Only problem I have is that it won't work as a MTP device on my computer because the driver won't install for some obscure reason. (Windows 7)

MTP wouldnt work with mine either, there is a way around it, install windows media player 11, that was my fix.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 07:53 PM by Baconbits.)
04-08-2013 07:52 PM
Eddyall1 Offline
Posts Leader

Given 96 thanks in 94 posts

I believed I try that one but I can pass to Dropbox if I want to put stuff on it.

Intel i5-2500k @4.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Asus GTX570 @850/1700/4000MHz 1001mV
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb @1600MHz
Corsair 500R
Corsair AX850
EVGA CPU Cooler
04-08-2013 08:28 PM
Shawn_Dalwin Offline

(03-11-2013 05:08 PM)PCAS Wrote:  [Image: 1209228-nexus7newsletter_02.jpg]

With recent buzz and high demand for both the LG Nexus 4 smart phone and the Samsung Nexus 10 tablet there is no doubt that Google’s flagship android line-up is an innovative series that is drawing attention.

After a hot debut over 6 months ago the Nexus 7 still has the competition playing catch up. For overall performance to price comparison there are very few products out there that can keep up with this 7-inch powerhouse.

Appearance:

Holding the Nexus 7 it becomes apparent the design team at Asus were hard at work trying to make this budget friendly tablet feel solid. It feels like a balanced 12oz slab of well engineered brilliance.
The back panel is wrapped in a rubberized material that provides a solid texture while making it easier to hold. Also located on the back panel right below the embossed Nexus logo is the tablet’s single speaker. Your standard volume rocker and power button are found neatly along the right edge. The micro usb and headphone jack are intelligently placed at the bottom of the device to prevent cables from blocking your view in portrait mode. The pin-hole microphone is cleverly hidden along the top edge of the device. Finally, on the front face of the Nexus you can find the 1.2 megapixel camera.

Hardware:

The 7” 1280x800 HD display offers 216 pixels per inch resulting in a decadently rich viewing experience. The IPS screen allows for great viewing angles for those moments when your tablet is being used out of your hands. Aware that you would be using this device on the go the Asus/Google team decided to use scratch-resistant Corning glass to make this tab a little bit tougher.
Looking at the performance specs of this 7 inch power house is where this Nexus device really stands out. Offering Nvidia’s 1.3GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor and 1GB of ram the Nexus 7 can keep up with today’s most demanding Android games and HD videos.
As far as internal storage options are concerned the Nexus 7 comes in two flavours. 16GB and 32GB models are currently available but just in case you were concerned about expandable memory Google has you covered with cloud storage through Google Play. Those of you with simply enormous media collections may also want to consider online storage through DropBox or even a Network hard drive.

Software:

The Nexus 7 ships with a stock “Vanilla” version of Android 4.1 (Jellybean) which delivers a seamless user experience. Although Google invites users to experiment with custom software on their Nexus line up the stock version of this software will appeal to most. Voice typing for quick communications, Android beam for NFC file transferring and face unlock all add unique elements to this Nexus experience.
Designed around media consumption and gaming, Google Play access is central the Nexus 7’s user interface. Media suggestions and quick links to your content make enjoying this tablet easy for even the most inexperienced user.

Summary:

This review has barely scratched the surfaced. There is no arguing that for price, performance and actual user experience the Nexus 7 does not let down. You will be hard pressed to find a tablet that matches up to Google’s current flagship tablet. If you’re in the market for a portable powerhouse this tablet is definitely worth every penny.

Pros:
Brilliant HD display (1280x800)
Battery Life (4325MAH, Up to 8 hours of active use)
Perfect portable size for gaming and media
Competitive price for overall performance

Cons:
Expanded storage reliant on network connection (Cloud storage is a great suggestion but the 32gb model is a must have for most users)

Check out the Nexus 7 here

this phone is giving tough competition to the nexus dude watch out here
http://tabletvs.net/compare/GOOGLE-Nexus...-8-9#Price
03-28-2014 03:15 AM
Ferenik Offline
Employee

Given 3 thanks in 3 posts

I see the nexus more as an easy choice for Baby Boomers and Technophobes who might not enjoy a lot of the deeper features you can get with a more open ended Tablet.
03-28-2014 02:19 PM
Webslug Offline

I bought 2 Nexus 7`s 32 gig 3 years ago, six months apart from each other. I got them because it was the only tablet with a processor that could handle xbmc.
Today they still run strong. My wife lives on it and my daughter has moved to the iphone but still uses the Nexus 7 to watch xbmchub movies.
Back then they we $255.
Smooth tablet. Good money well spent.

MCSE
10-04-2014 08:25 PM