Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SSD Drive (Question for a friend)
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Given 330 thanks in 255 posts

SSD Drive (Question for a friend)
Hey guys, a bud of mine wants to get into the wonders of SSD drives, he asked me a few questions, thought I would post here to get the best answers for him for what he wants to know about them.

1. He is not sure what size to get. 60GB or 120GB. He took an inventory of his Windows 7 machine now and said the total being eating up he thinks by the most important folders are as follows:

MSOCache/
Program Files/
Program Files(x86)/
Program Data/
Users/
Windows/

35.04 GB total. Would he benefit from a 120GB SSD or a smaller sized 60GB drive?

2. His board is a SATAII mobo, socket 775. Wants to know to get a SATAII SSD or get a SATA3 SSD does it make a difference? (this I am not sure on)

3. Can he use drive-copy software to clone the standard 7200 drive onto the SSD then just use the SSD as boot or does he have to format the whole machine from scratch? (not sure of that either). He says he hates re-installing and all that stuff takes him so long to organize the computer.

4. Can he use his browser software on the SSD drive? (Chrome/Firefox/Explorer) for surfing the web, temp files and all that such and run programs like CCLEANER?

LOL, sorry for the 1000's questions guys. I don't want to give him any guesstimate answers myself.

[Image: 2ed154g.png]
11-19-2011 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eddyall1 Offline
Posts Leader

Given 96 thanks in 94 posts

RE: SSD Drive (Question for a friend)
1-I ask the same question, they said ±120Gb
2-If he buy a SATA III, it will run at the speed of SATA II in a SATA II port
3-Don't know really
4-I think it normally on the boot drive.

I'm not sure if it really good, but he should try to have TRIM on is SSD.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 08:39 PM by Eddyall1.)
11-19-2011 08:38 PM
Defiant Online
Posting Leader

Given 611 thanks in 472 posts

(11-19-2011 08:23 PM)heyyahblah Wrote:  1. He is not sure what size to get. 60GB or 120GB. He took an inventory of his Windows 7 machine now and said the total being eating up he thinks by the most important folders are as follows:

MSOCache/
Program Files/
Program Files(x86)/
Program Data/
Users/
Windows/

35.04 GB total. Would he benefit from a 120GB SSD or a smaller sized 60GB drive?

If this is all he uses and all he will ever use (aside from the occasional small software install) the 60 GB should be fine, if he is planning for long term use then get the 120.

(11-19-2011 08:23 PM)heyyahblah Wrote:  2. His board is a SATAII mobo, socket 775. Wants to know to get a SATAII SSD or get a SATA3 SSD does it make a difference? (this I am not sure on)

SATA 3 drives in a SATA 2 port will run at SATA 2 speeds, if he plans on upgrading in the future then a SATA 3 SSD would be a good idea, if not then it doesn't matter really.

(11-19-2011 08:23 PM)heyyahblah Wrote:  3. Can he use drive-copy software to clone the standard 7200 drive onto the SSD then just use the SSD as boot or does he have to format the whole machine from scratch? (not sure of that either). He says he hates re-installing and all that stuff takes him so long to organize the computer.

It is possible with software such as Acronis, however doing a image-image from HDD to SSD is not recommended as you should always do a fresh install for an SSD.

That said though, depending on the SSD you buy and if you get the full retail "kit" with it (bracket/power adapter cable/software) you may get a "migration" utility which can assist with this in a proper way. Some Intels and some Kingstons include this software with the retail bundle (Intel's is called: Migration software, Kingstons is called: Desktop upgrade software).

(11-19-2011 08:23 PM)heyyahblah Wrote:  4. Can he use his browser software on the SSD drive? (Chrome/Firefox/Explorer) for surfing the web, temp files and all that such and run programs like CCLEANER?

Browser software? Of course he can, an SSS is meant as a hard drive replacement, just don't defrag it and your fine! He can run CCleaner if he would like, Windows still needs maintenance, even on an SSD.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
11-19-2011 09:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah
Lebungz Offline
Posts Leader

Given 413 thanks in 344 posts

60 SATA II. less expensive and for a beginner if it fails you won't feel totally ripped off.
Sounds like your buddy has a very conservative system in terms of software.
Its entirely the best move to do a fresh install.
Especially if its as I suspect and there's not a whole lot of programs to add.
But before you do, take your current OS with the new SSD attached
Make sure its recognized in bios and windows,
then check for a firmware upgrade.
then do a fresh install Win7.

Sprogis has a great uber user Windows install thread HERE >>> http://forums.canadacomputers.com/showth...p?tid=1372
Its very complex, but some of the essentials can be weeded out.
Otherwise, I used this tweak set without issues >>> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/...tilities-*

C70 MODS
932-X MODS
TAKE MY MONEY RIMMERS!
11-19-2011 10:00 PM
 Thanks given by: heyyahblah
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Wow, thanks for the tips/guides guys thats crazy. I read sprogis' before and it was too much for me to handle. I clicked the other link and damn even more reading at the OCZ forums. Geezus, what happened to plug and play??

I mean cant he just use the SSD out of the box the way it is or do you think all those tweaks are necessary? My buds a bit tweaky so if I told him he had to do all that he would probably opt out seeing as its 'too much work' turn off pre-fetch, superfetch, change ff cache and all those other things mentioned in that guide.

Do you guys think he would still get the same fast performance from his SSD and Windows 7 if he left it as is? maybe do some few tweaks like turn off defrag or etc? Whats your take on this.

ps @ Lebungz, I didn't quite understand by what you meant as seems like he has a very conservative system in terms of software? could you elaborate a bit more please? Smile

Thanks for all tips

11-20-2011 12:10 AM
Lebungz Offline
Posts Leader

Conservative... just looking at his current 35Gb usage is all. thats not a lot of stuff... really. I suppose his pron collection is not included.

and hey. you can just plug and play.. essentially.
Just that some of the caveats of SSD usage cause you to worry (only a little bit) about longevity in reads and writes.
Those tweaks help you optimize that within windows.

C70 MODS
932-X MODS
TAKE MY MONEY RIMMERS!
11-20-2011 12:40 AM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

ahh i understand what you mean by longevity and such. and the folder count, i took that myself for him as the essentials. right now its a 500GB HDD he is using with 314GB in use. He installs all his games onto another drive. But he has lots of movies and music and all that crap on the 500GB.

I told him that drive would become his storage and only the essentials would remain on C:\ (BOOT) because of the small sized SSD. I figured these are the only essential folders on C:\ drive, if I am missing any let me know.

MSOCache/
Program Files/
Program Files(x86)/
Program Data/
Users/
Windows/

after I did an audit of data usage on those folders it came out to 35GB so rougly say 40GB all his programs installed, minus everything else. pictures, games, music. those would now go on a seperate drive.

11-20-2011 12:51 AM
sprogis Offline
Forum Helper
Forum Helpers

Given 16 thanks in 15 posts

(11-20-2011 12:10 AM)heyyahblah Wrote:  Wow, thanks for the tips/guides guys thats crazy. I read sprogis' before and it was too much for me to handle. I clicked the other link and damn even more reading at the OCZ forums. Geezus, what happened to plug and play??

I mean cant he just use the SSD out of the box the way it is or do you think all those tweaks are necessary? My buds a bit tweaky so if I told him he had to do all that he would probably opt out seeing as its 'too much work' turn off pre-fetch, superfetch, change ff cache and all those other things mentioned in that guide.

Do you guys think he would still get the same fast performance from his SSD and Windows 7 if he left it as is? maybe do some few tweaks like turn off defrag or etc? Whats your take on this.

ps @ Lebungz, I didn't quite understand by what you meant as seems like he has a very conservative system in terms of software? could you elaborate a bit more please? Smile

Thanks for all tips

The guide is more for advanced users and users with advanced knowledge of the inner workings of Windows its self. For regular users just go ahead and install Windows 7 that is all. AHCI mode will work best. AMD is better with the MSAHCI driver. It will be preferred to install the Intel AHCI driver just before you install Windows 7 under "Load Driver" the manual should have the required steps outlined to load the driver. If you will use IDE mode then no need to load a driver. Just click next to install.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 01:13 AM by sprogis.)
11-20-2011 01:09 AM
Lebungz Offline
Posts Leader

(11-20-2011 12:51 AM)heyyahblah Wrote:  MSOCache/
Program Files/
Program Files(x86)/
Program Data/
Users/
Windows/

These are the essentials. I've moved my Users file onto big storage. thats easy enough. Plus you should adjust the locations of the Temp folders... especially for browsers.

C70 MODS
932-X MODS
TAKE MY MONEY RIMMERS!
11-20-2011 10:19 AM
heyyahblah Offline
Posting Freak

Hmm, he keeps his users folder empty. only thing in there are favorites, sample pictures and my documents folder which is practically empty. All I saw in there were remote assistant longs, CCleaner .reg files and saved games folders (I guess saved games choose that directory for Windows 7) and that was about it. Pretty empty. Which I mean is good, since he can store everything else on an HDD drive and keep the SSD empty.

11-20-2011 06:30 PM