Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
So you want to run a RAID array...
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 604 thanks in 466 posts

RE: So you want to run a RAID array...
(08-11-2011 04:07 PM)Mark Wrote:  I use Raid 10.

Drives, controller? Go on...

(08-11-2011 04:07 PM)Mark Wrote:  Related;

Indeed, Nested RAIDception levels.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
08-11-2011 04:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark Offline
Posts Leader

Given 177 thanks in 144 posts

Well actually it was a mistake, an a NAS server, the raid 10 corrupted two HDD's (Since apparently according to the company your supposed to swap the backup drives every second year) corrupted, and everything died. I'm working with thecus to still recover. Should've opted to go to one U bigger and gotten bigger drives and just done raid 6, the raid would've been still alive Tongue.

I even forget you can see sigs.

heh.
08-11-2011 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Given 138 thanks in 127 posts

So I'm building another server and the Intel controller I used previously has been discontinued ... any recommendations for a controller card that can handle RAID 0 and RAID 1 for at least four drives? Preferably a smaller legacy PCI card as we're talking a 1U server by way of a riser card. A PCI ex card would also work but I'd have to get an appropriate riser.

[Image: currentbuild.png]
09-23-2011 07:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

(09-23-2011 07:07 PM)Peter M Dodge Wrote:  So I'm building another server and the Intel controller I used previously has been discontinued ... any recommendations for a controller card that can handle RAID 0 and RAID 1 for at least four drives? Preferably a smaller legacy PCI card as we're talking a 1U server by way of a riser card. A PCI ex card would also work but I'd have to get an appropriate riser.

Hmmm legacy PCI.. That will be difficult and kill a lot of the IO which you would gain from using a RAID in the first place. I would try to stick with PCI-E if possible.

What is your budget Peter? Also be aware the SFF8087 Mini-SAS break out is sometimes not included with some cards so you may have to factor that in as well. If I were buying a card for those requirements I would probably look for a LSI or maybe a 3ware, Highpoint controllers have a bad reputation.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
09-24-2011 02:08 AM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

(09-24-2011 02:08 AM)Defiant Wrote:  Hmmm legacy PCI.. That will be difficult and kill a lot of the IO which you would gain from using a RAID in the first place. I would try to stick with PCI-E if possible.

What is your budget Peter? Also be aware the SFF8087 Mini-SAS break out is sometimes not included with some cards so you may have to factor that in as well. If I were buying a card for those requirements I would probably look for a LSI or maybe a 3ware, Highpoint controllers have a bad reputation.

We're talking enterprise SATA drives here. I have some money but not enough that I'm going to be using SAS drives and my big ticket items are going to be my processors since Im going with a multi-Xeon setup so that's good for around 1000$ already.

09-24-2011 07:17 AM
sprogis Offline
Forum Helper
Forum Helpers

Given 16 thanks in 15 posts

Here is a Vertex 2 RAID0 Bench Defiant.

[Image: ATTObench.png]
09-30-2011 11:43 PM
Rick Offline

Given 3 thanks in 3 posts

Linux/Unix Raid Server Recipe:

Ingredients:
- Supermicro SuperChassis 743TQ-865B-SQ
- Adaptec 5805 Hardware Raid card
- 8 x Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB 3.5" (Raid 10 -for raw NLVideo editing,...)
- 2 x OCZ 120Gig SSD's (mirrored for UbuntuStudio 10.10 amd64, no Windows allowed !)
- Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
- 16 Gigs (4 x 4Gigs Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3 clocked at 1333 MHz)
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470
- 2 x Asus PA246Q, 24.1" Widescreen P-IPS Professional Monitors, 1920x1200

Directions:
Supply a vigorous amount of 110 Volts, and enjoy the good stable Flavour of a "real" "SERV"-ing
Smile

I got everything thru' CC, except for the Adaptec 5805 Raid card.
Optionally, I would have also gone for an LSI/Megaraid card, instead of the Adaptec, however Adaptec does have excellent Linux/Unix drivers.

WE need a Canada Computers in WINDSOR !
10-30-2011 10:02 AM
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Damn nice workstation you have there! Though I have to ask, what IO are you getting from that array?

As for the RAID card, I'm happy with anything that doesn't have Highpoint in the name Wink

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
10-30-2011 10:13 AM
Rick Offline

Given 3 thanks in 3 posts

(10-30-2011 10:13 AM)Defiant Wrote:  Damn nice workstation you have there! Though I have to ask, what IO are you getting from that array?

As for the RAID card, I'm happy with anything that doesn't have Highpoint in the name Wink

Thanks Defiant,

The system was put together last year for a local Video company in Ottawa, and since then I have also added a Blackmagic Decklink SDI/HD card for them,
for Raw full-1080p Video Input streaming.

I get around 500 -> 600 MBytes/sec R/W throughput, according to Blackmagic's Video Disk Benchmarker. which gives them more than enough headroom, even for raw video input 1080p@60Hz refresh.

-and here's the "plug" for them:
"Steadicam Videography Inc, in Ottawa"
Smile

but yes, I also agree, those highpoint software-raid impersonators are not very good. Wink

WE need a Canada Computers in WINDSOR !
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2011 12:13 PM by Rick.)
10-30-2011 12:05 PM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Adaptec is decent. Intel is the best IMO but very expensive compared to Adaptecs with the same features. Highpoints are paperweights, why would you use them for raid?

I'm not big on Supermicro personally. I don't mind them but they're not the best craftsmanship in the cases and I usually end up replacing the fans.

My current server build is a refurb of a Silicon Mechanics P3 server with a little more modern components. I basically took out everything except the RAC and the CDROM drive. Its actually fun (for me anyways, I know, Im odd), but 1u server refurbs are definetely in the "some assembly required" category.

Some people put leds on a case and call it a casemod. Every time I do a server refurb it involves power tools Tongue

10-30-2011 02:11 PM