Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mail in rebate - is it a scam?
Integer Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

Mail in rebate - is it a scam?
I purchased Patriot media a month ago. Filled in forms and with the receipt and sent them to US address. Today I got pity letter that after examination the rebate of 25$ is refused.
Did you folks have similar experience ? I'm thinking this scam rip off many in hope that nobody will bother to investigate it.
10-23-2011 07:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark Offline
Posts Leader

Given 178 thanks in 144 posts

RE: Mail in rebate - is it a scam?
From CC? Like they had the MIR and everything? I'd call head office and get that money, because otherwise it's legally a scam, you are right.

I even forget you can see sigs.

heh.
10-23-2011 07:38 PM
Defiant Offline
Posting Leader

Given 613 thanks in 474 posts

I generally don't bother with MIRs, for the following reasons:

1) They take a very long time, plus I still pay full price in store, its not a sale and shouldn't be advertised as such. Any arguments that the "manufacturer" is passing a present onto you are bogus, they have motives...

2) The rebates houses which are externally contracted by the manufacturers to process the rebates actually make money off this process by data mining all information you send them and selling it. Ever wonder why they need an enormous amount of info? Ever notice after a rebate you get more spam/telemarketers?

3) These rebate houses are know and documented for tossing your valid rebate forms in the dumpster (after mining the info first of course).

4) Its a waste of my time, plain and simple. As an added bonus some of them require you to but the serial off the box and ship that away too which will remove the ability to RMA the product in case of failure.

Rigs:
Defiant (Gamer)
Intrepid (HTPC)
Galaxy (Server)
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 07:47 PM by Defiant.)
10-23-2011 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: baker7205
W4rner Offline

Given 3 thanks in 2 posts

So far I'm 6/6 with my rebates from mushkin, evga, asus, and i think logitech.
You gotta be careful with rebates, they can use their small print against you, if you forgot to include something, or fill something out.
Also they generally include the "make sure you keep a copy for your records" so if you didn't make a copy before you sent it, it might be hard to argue.
Sometimes its just squeky oil gets the wheel, I would still ask them about it.

i7 930, P6X58D-E, 3x2GB Mushkin Blackline 1600 CL-7, 60GB Mushkin Callisto, GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, CM Silent Pro850W, Scythe Mugen2, HAF-X
10-23-2011 08:18 PM
Lebungz Offline
Posts Leader

Given 413 thanks in 344 posts

(10-23-2011 07:46 PM)Defiant Wrote:  2) The rebates houses which are externally contracted by the manufacturers to process the rebates actually make money off this process by data mining all information you send them and selling it. Ever wonder why they need an enormous amount of info? Ever notice after a rebate you get more spam/telemarketers?

IDK... sounds much more offensive than Origin Tongue

I agree though... MIR = junk marketing. I could only claim one MIR on two EVGA GPU's because there was only one reciept and therefore oldEgg would only issue the MIR papers on one unit... I'll never shop there again.

C70 MODS
932-X MODS
TAKE MY MONEY RIMMERS!
10-23-2011 08:54 PM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Given 138 thanks in 127 posts

It is, was, and always will be, a method to get your personal information for marketing purposes.

[Image: currentbuild.png]
10-23-2011 10:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Odin Offline
Banned

Given 23 thanks in 20 posts

I dont shop at CC too often because of their practice of making MIRs a "sale" when its infact not. Post the real price and then show it has the MIR as an option if we want to be part of a privacy study.
10-24-2011 07:24 AM
bao
Unregistered

Given thanks in posts

A lot of these rebate houses have a budget from the vendor based on conservative estimations on redemption's.

So say the pool is $100K for a certain campaign... and redemption's hit $140K... that $40K portion gets auto rejected for whatever BS reason, plus they probably still data mine you.
10-24-2011 09:37 AM
Quote this message in a reply
James Offline

Given 0 thanks in 0 posts

So far I got the mail-in rebates from the decent manufacturers like Asus, Epson, Kodark, TRENDnet, D-Link without problem, but Patriot did refuse my rebate unreasonably. I have avoided this brand in any case for their dishonesty.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2011 09:55 AM by James.)
10-24-2011 09:54 AM
Peter M Dodge Offline
Posts Dominator

Given 138 thanks in 127 posts

Bao has it explained there, but as OttawaXJ said, I tend to find the practise of marking an item with a MIR as "on sale" to be misleading, and in fact could get CC in trouble under the False Advertising provisions of the Consumer Protection Act. They misrepresent the price of the item.

[Image: currentbuild.png]
10-24-2011 04:12 PM