Canada Computers Community
Requesting Advice - Crashing Driver - Printable Version

+- Canada Computers Community (http://forums.canadacomputers.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Technical Issues (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Requesting Advice - Crashing Driver (/showthread.php?tid=4795)

Requesting Advice - Crashing Driver - amandak - 12-27-2017 08:42 PM

Hey guys;
I'm looking for advice from someone with a little more computer know-how than I have.
So, I bought a computer here at the beginning of the month, and have been quite pleased with it. But over the last few days I've run into a problem.

See, I updated my NVIDIA drivers to the latest version, mostly because it kept prompting me on startup, and I wanted to shut it up, rather than because I really NEED it.

This has proven the be a mistake. After I installed it, I started getting games crashing (fallout 4 and dragon age inquisition, for the record). Not a big deal, I reinstalled the driver. Still happened. Switched back to the driver I'd had before. Same problem. Tried one from september, still happening.

Downloaded DDU, ran in safe mode to make sure the problem driver was gone. Reinstalled. Still happened.
Reset my pc (which is probably overkill, but the thing about having a new one is that at least I'm not really losing anything by doing this). Reinstalled the drivers from the Aorus disc that came with the computer. Played for a little while. Game did crash, but that was when it minimized the screen because it decided I had just plugged in new speakers (I hadnt.). No blue screen, though, so thought that I'd finally gotten things dealt with, except that when I woke the computer later on, it blue screened again.

Who Crashed still says its the driver
On Wed 2017-12-27 7:17:52 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x115F17)
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x5, 0xFFFF800786B32000, 0xFFFF800786DAEAD0, 0xD81)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_2e7fa54192​fe16d0\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.13
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.13
Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.13 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR

But at this point, I'm stumped. I've reinstalled the driver. I've installed different drivers. I don't know if there's some other reason its crashing, or if NVIDIA drivers are just that unstable (the fact that there's one listed every couple weeks isn't encouraging). But I'd appreciate any advice people have, because at this point I am frustrated, and VERY confused.

RE: Requesting Advice - Crashing Driver - JuanSe - 12-30-2017 02:36 AM

Uninstall all drivers/software using Revo Uninstaller and see if there are still traces of it in the registry.
If still gives you errors, I would try System Restore to a previous date (before the error showed up).
If that doesn't work, try repairing windows files using sfc /scannow under command prompt (Run as Administrator) (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker)

If that still doesn't work, save your data, profiles, settings, etc and reinstall windows (clean install)