Canada Computers Community

Full Version: Today's adventure!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I called up Mississauga to ask about the Asus ROG STRIX Radeon RX 460 4GB that was open box and was told that it was a system error and that it was in fact new in box.

Without knowing I could have had it transferred to Hamilton, I asked them to set it aside for me as I would be making the 1.5 hour journey from Hamilton via Transit to pick it up.

Either way, it was worth the journey!

4 hours later, I am back home and there is no DVI adapter in the box.... Remember the good ol days when DVI-D to VGA adapters were a thing? Welp... I need to either get one or an HDMI to VGA lol
(05-20-2017 07:50 AM)Defiant Wrote: [ -> ]Holy smokes you are still using a VGA only monitor?!

If you are willing to wait between 2 and 15 business weeks you can get them dirt cheap shipped for free, the downside is you never now how long it will take.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-PC-Laptop-Ada...SwZVlXo-tx

Otherwise I'm sure there are piles of them sitting around someone would be willing to give one to you, I might even have a few buried somewhere...

Thanks for the offer, I decided to use the LCD TV/DVD Combo I was given a few years ago by my Mother and bought an HDMI cable....

Oh my god.... Games look so much better with this RX 460 vs my GTX 650 and 550 Ti
Get a 4k monitor and call it a day lol
(05-19-2017 07:53 PM)Marie Lawson Wrote: [ -> ]I am back home and there is no DVI adapter in the box.... Remember the good ol days when DVI-D to VGA adapters were a thing?

Hi Marie,

I am afraid that you are confusing DVI-I and DVI-D.

DVI-D is digital only. There has never been a DVI-D to VGA adapter, and there never will be, as a DVI-D port does not support such an adapter. You can't physically connect a DVI-I to VGA adapter into a DVI-D port because the pin-out on a DVI-D port is different and will prevent the adapter from physically going in.

The card would have to be equipped with a DVI-I port for such an adapter to work, but as of AMD Radeon 400 series cards and Nvidia GeForce 1000 series cards, both companies no longer use DVI-I ports, they only use DVI-D ports. It's not possible to convert that port to VGA using an adapter.

Should you really absolutely need to go to VGA, you can still get a HDMI to VGA converter (more expensive than DVI to VGA adapter because a electronic chip inside the cable must do the conversion), or a DisplayPort to VGA converter (same as above, more expensive because a electronic chip inside the cable must do the conversion). Both are available through Canada Computers for around $25-$30. Again, a plain $10 DVI-I to VGA adapter will not work.

In the end though, I'd recommend more that you upgrade to a DVI or HDMI equipped gaming monitor to get the best picture quality and performance from this video card.

Keep in mind that converting to VGA will always cause some degradation in the image quality.
(05-20-2017 07:50 AM)Defiant Wrote: [ -> ]Holy smokes you are still using a VGA only monitor?!

If you are willing to wait between 2 and 15 business weeks you can get them dirt cheap shipped for free, the downside is you never now how long it will take.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-PC-Laptop-Ada...SwZVlXo-tx

Otherwise I'm sure there are piles of them sitting around someone would be willing to give one to you, I might even have a few buried somewhere...

That eBay post is in error, that's a DVI-I adapter (look at the pin-out configuration on the adapter on the picture). Do not purchase this item, it will not work (you won't even be able to physically connect it), the post is mislabled as a DVI-D to VGA adapter which once again does not exist and cannot work on DVI-D cards.

DVI-A = Analog only. Extremely rare (I've never seen one in my life). I assume it would always require a DVI-I to VGA adapter to even use it.

DVI-I = Analog and Digital. Common. Can connect using a DVI cable, or a DVI-I to VGA adapter, or a DVI-D to HDMI adapter.

DVI-D = Digital only. Not very common, but starting with AMD Radeon 400 series and Nvidia GeForce 1000 series, they are only equipped with this port. Can connect using a DVI cable, or a DVI-D to HDMI adapter.

I hope this helps to clarify the differences between the different DVI connectors. Needless to say, especially with the new series video cards only being equipped with a DVI-D port, we've been hearing this question quite a bit in the store from customers. There is simply no way to use a DVI-I to VGA adapter on a DVI-D only equipped video card as it's just plain not supported. Besides, it's a good sign that the monitor is old and should be upgraded to a new model equipped with digital ports which will result in better picture quality for the user in end.
Reference URL's